Doing a CV

I know this sort of subject area has been covered before, but I’m a little stuck on what I can do!

I’ve had bit of a random array of previous jobs before doing my LGV. Done everything from working in call centres doing telesaled and in offfices doing admin, to working on a building site contracting and driving vans. For the a fair while I was with a recruitment agency (office based) which explains the ‘high throughput’ as it were.

In regard to this, don’t really know what to do about my CV? If I’m applying for a driving job, none of my call centre/sales experience is really valid. What on earth can I say to make them want to employ me… ‘I’ve just passed my test and have [zb] all experience :grimacing:

I guess the contracting is a little relevant since I did a LOT of driving in vans up and down the country. Not HGV’s though are they… Seems to be a lose lose situation! Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction?

chris_89:
I know this sort of subject area has been covered before, but I’m a little stuck on what I can do!

I’ve had bit of a random array of previous jobs before doing my LGV. Done everything from working in call centres doing telesaled and in offfices doing admin, to working on a building site contracting and driving vans. For the a fair while I was with a recruitment agency (office based) which explains the ‘high throughput’ as it were.

In regard to this, don’t really know what to do about my CV? If I’m applying for a driving job, none of my call centre/sales experience is really valid. What on earth can I say to make them want to employ me… ‘I’ve just passed my test and have [zb] all experience :grimacing:

Be honest, tell them you are good with people and can communicate well with them. You can read a map and not frightened of getting your boots muddy. But don’t forget to use a spellchecker :wink:

Have a search for my name and CV as there was a large post written on this very subject just yesterday

Yep I read that mate, about the interview techniques etc. Good read and I’ll definitely take all that in to account.

I’m pretty good with spelling and stuff so - shouldn’t be a problem! :wink:

I’m guessing you’ve seen my thread on the same subject sooo, the way I see it…

Without lieing, you can’t put something there that you haven’t got.

All you can do is tell them what you’ve done and try to “big up” anything relevent and hope for the best. These people aren’t daft, they can see you’ve next to no experience - the rest’s up to them, you can’t really change that - all you can do is hope for the best.

Yeah guess you’re right mate. Out of interest, what sort of work you been doing since passing C? All agency/temporary stuff? How’ve you found it?

Everything is relevant,Call Centre work,shows that a previous employer was happy for you to talk to their clients,good communications etc.Telesales,well everything you will deliver will have been sold by someone,so you will be aware of the hard work involved gaining the sales and the importance of not losing orders.Let the employer decide what is relevant.You can find relevance in everything.

chris_89:
Yeah guess you’re right mate. Out of interest, what sort of work you been doing since passing C? All agency/temporary stuff? How’ve you found it?

I’ve done alsorts mate, it’s been good fun learning all the different things like how to work a tail lift, fridge etc, how to open and close curtains and how to make the most of nights out.

Agency work for me has almost exclusively been a day here, a day there and so on, I’ve tried to take the rough with the smooth but in all honesty (and it’s taken over 2yrs to work it out) the more of the rough you take, the more you’ll get - if you don’t like a job, tell them you dont want to do it, if the work dries up join another agency it really is that simple. I’ve just had an agency on the phone because I’ve told them I won’t go to brakes anymore, they were practicly begging and even offered me more money to go there (why the money couldn’t have been better in the first place I don’t know). Tough, I don’t owe them anything after some of the underhand things they’ve tried to pull over the years :wink:

Favours are one-way and it’s not your way so why bother :imp: Brownie points count for sweet f.a. too :wink:

SOME other drivers (and companies) can be quite nasty about agency drivers, all you can do is ignore them and do your job to the best of your ability.

If things are going wrong, keep the t.m. informed, it wont save you taking the flack but it’s one less thing to get your ear chewed for :wink:

Keep a diary of who you worked for where you went and your hours and carry a pack of wet wipes and a bog roll and you can’t go far wrong :laughing: .

It’s not all doom and gloom though, but there’s no point in me warning you about the good days is there!? :laughing: