Starting out!

Hey! I wondered if anyone can help. :blush:
I have wanted to become a HGV/LGV Driver for a long time, due to a recent change in circumstances, it has been possible to follow this dream!
So… once I have my licence, how would I go about finding work? How does it all work? Do I apply to a company (Morrisons, Ginster for example), or do I have to register somewhere?
Also, can you be selective as to the type of work you do, as I don’t think I would want to drive abroard?!
I hope someone is able to help!
I am really new to all this, and I have no relatives in the industry to ask! I worry if I ask a specific company that I may get biased information!
Thanks
K

Basically just knock on the door of every company that runs lorries. That could be construction firms, builders merchants, dairies, removals firms, general haulage, etc etc. Be prepared to get a lot of knockbacks as a new driver, though if you have the right attitude then you are more likely to get some work. Emails don’t work, phonecalls are slightly better but face to face is best.
If that doesn’t work as quickly as you want it to, then agencies are a good start. Again, be prepared to get some knockbacks but if you go to them and are not fussy about what you drive then they may give you a start on some van jobs to prove that you are hard working and reliable, and just work up the levels from there. Ring them every day as they don’t always call you, this way they get to remember you and are more likely to get work out of them.

Is this thread the same as this one = viewtopic.php?f=5&t=95236&p=1423205#p1423205

Yes, sorry, I posted in the wrong one to begin with! Ooops!

Thanks Charlie! Great advice! Just not sure what the etiquette is! Wouldn’t want to do it all wrong!

Whilst you may land a good job driving something decent, be prepared to drive an old shed doing donkey work and you’ll not be too disappointed. As said before, get yourself out and about talking to people, be polite and presentable and willing to have a go at most things. Think of less obvious places like skips, bins, vac tanks. People aren’t usually queuing up to work there so they are often receptive to someone coming to them.