Does anyone know ! Less than Euro 3 banned from London

Can anyone please help me with regard to anything less than Euro 3 being banned from central London. My boss has been banging on about this but details are sketchy. I would very much appreciate any information on this.

With kind regards

John :smiley:

As far as I am aware, Euro 1&2 are perfectly acceptable

I was reading about this in either Motor Transport or Commercial Motor a week or so ago.

It is what the Mayor of London wants to be brought in - only the cleanest engines to be allowed into London. It isn’t going to happen just yet though.

If and when it does though - it won’t matter. You will still be able to take ‘dirty’ engines to Brimingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds and so on. :unamused:

It is typical of this country’s attitude to haulage isn’t it? ‘- We don’t really want to offer any incentives to assist hauliers to run newer, cleaner trucks. We just don’t want polluting ones in our back yard.’

As I understand it, the German government has offered German hauliers road-toll incentives to run cleaner, newer trucks. That’s why some of them are are already running at Euro 5. Which has to be for the good of everyone.

What a difference, eh?

red ken and his transport for london cronies want to bring in additional charging for wagons that are not euro 3 compatable come 2008. this includes all diesel vehicles of 3.5 ton and above including trucks coaches and buses

looks like oxford street is going to be a ghost town.

if you’ve got adobe reader on your pc you can download this leaflet and show it your boss http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/low-emission-zone/pdfdocs/public-questionnaire.pdf

or have a look at transport for london

jon

As I understand it at the moment any vehicle can enter London.

From 2008 any vehicle that isnt Euro3 or higher will still be allowed inside the M25 but will have to pay a daily charge of between 100 & 200 pounds (not finalised yet)

Then from 2010 it will raise to Euro4

in the long run though lower emmisions has to be good for everyone doesnt it?

Of course we could go back to the smog of the 50’s?

In Sweden, if you drive one of the new cars that can run on Biogas, you even get free parking in the cities. Whay can’t we use more carrot and less stick?

John

dennisw1:
in the long run though lower emmisions has to be good for everyone doesnt it?

Of course we could go back to the smog of the 50’s?

I take on board your point but if believe ha is doing this for our benefit then I’m afraid I’d have to say that you are being a little naive.
He is doing it because he knows there are hundreds of firms based inside the L.E.Z most of which couldn’t afford to replace their entire fleet in one go just to conform to this new legislation so he has a ready made revenue stream from day one.

A good example is a firm based Near me called F Dickson (the owner used to write a column in Commercial Motor).
The whole fleet is made up of “old” motors but every one of 'em is in excellent nick & would put some firms running “new” motors to shame.

When this new legislation comes in he will be faced with 3 choices (as he is based inside the zone)

1, Renew his entire fleet & keep doing so every 2 years (this looks like they way it’s going - everytime there is a new Euro emissions limit the L.E.Z limit will be adjusted)

2,Pay the 100/200 pound fine for every motor in the fleet

3, Shut the doors

I currently refuse to enter the congestion charge zone and when this new legislati n comes in I will refuse to enter that zone.
If red ken dont want any lorries in London then thats fine by me he wont get mine.
If only everybody else took the same attitude how long do you think he would last with no deliveries getting done.

You may like to note that this legislation dosn’t apply to cars (voters) who account for 85% of road traffic in London so will have a negligable effect on the air quality.

NSH - I think that your comments are bang on.

Wouldn’t it be great if the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury, Somerfield, Safeway/Morrisons, BP, Esso, Shell, British Bakeries, United News, Dairy Crest, Arla and other firms that deliver goods that we all need every day, turned round and said: -

‘No - shove your deliveries up your ying-yang - we’ll just not bother going in there anymore.’

It would be a good day. :smiley:

looks like ol trucky will be writing a few letters to red ken pretending theyre from the major supermarket chains…and telling him we wont be coming into town anymore…your dead right about oxford st though …say the same about all the major streets in london…i`ve never seen so many smoky buses since de-regulation…supppose the private companies cant afford proper maintenance…
THOUGHT !..I WONDER IF THE DEMISE OF THE ROUTEMASTER…IS ANYTHING TO DO WITH EURO 3…