Does anyone come through Cherbourg?

Off on Hols next month and coming back that way.

Last time I was there, some years ago, there was a Hypermarket so large that the assistants went round on roller blades. :laughing: I kid you not.

Q1. Is it still there. (ā– ā– ā– ā–  silly question)

Q2. What time does it shut (Tuesday)

Q3. Best place for ā– ā– ā– ā– . (The sort that one sets fire to)

I dont think Cherbourg would be a good idea, as far as i am aware its closed (the port, that is).
I haveā€™nt used this crossing for a while now but iā€™m told that when P&O jacked it in there was no one to take over the route.
Rumour has it that Britany wanted to take it over but wereā€™nt alowed to.
Iā€™m sure someone will either confirm or deny this.
But more to the point, the Hypermarket may still be openā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

cherbourg was open about 3 weeks ago, i think its brittanny ferries now

Brittany Ferries sail between Portsmouth and Cherbourg 3 times a day.

Krankee:
Last time I was there, some years ago, there was a Hypermarket so large that the assistants went round on roller blades. :laughing: I kid you not.

Very common in France, where are H & S when you want them? :imp:

Salut, David.

Cherbourg is alive and well with regular sailings between Poole and Portsmouth. I use it at least twice a week.

Brittany ferries have been running services for years between these ports, there is now a new catamaran service for the cars too

There is also an Irish Link to Cherbourg called Celtic Link running a ferry on a Friday

Thanks folks.

Iā€™m glad to hear itā€™s still operating. Particularly as I have booked the crossing and paid for it. :smiley:

try this carrefour.fr/ccm/content/cat ā€¦ e-magasin/

also try Auchan and Leclerc

Coffeeholic:

Good old duty rumourā€¦
I was told it had finished by a driver a couple of weeks back and as we havent been sent on this route since P&O packed it in i took it in as gospel.
Sorry about that Krankie if i got you a bit jumpy there.

sammy5040:

Coffeeholic:

Good old duty rumourā€¦
I was told it had finished by a driver a couple of weeks back and as we havent been sent on this route since P&O packed it in i took it in as gospel.
Sorry about that Krankie if i got you a bit jumpy there.

Thatā€™s the problem listening to drivers :smiley:

I too can confirm that brittany ferries are operating out of cherbourg to pooleā€¦i use it twice a weekā€¦but i hate the coutances its a rust bucket of a shipā€¦but beggars cant be choosers,

truckyboy:
I too can confirm that brittany ferries are operating out of cherbourg to pooleā€¦i use it twice a weekā€¦but i hate the coutances its a rust bucket of a shipā€¦but beggars cant be choosers,

Yes but they serve synthetic Kir Royale for 1 Euro and 1 cent for some strange reason :smiley: Cannot understand why they mess about with the 1 centime

My god, is that old wreck still goingā– ā– ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

We used to use it to ship to France when I was on New Look nigh on 5 years ago, and it was heading for the scrapyard then!

We always used to end up with the cabin in the ā€œPortalooā€ on the upper deck, because that was the nearest they got to having a womenā€™s toiletā€¦many a time I remember trying to get a few hours kip in ready to drive through the night, and giving up after becoming firmly convinced that the whole ā€œbuildingā€ was going to take offā€¦ :cry:

The omelettes werenā€™t bad, mindā€¦although I was always a bit suspicious about the ā€œsteakā€ā€¦ :wink:

Krankee:
Thanks folks.

Iā€™m glad to hear itā€™s still operating. Particularly as I have booked the crossing and paid for it. :smiley:

I bet youā€™re glad itā€™s still open, my Great Uncle landed near there when it was closed, but reckoned the customs were a bit unfriendly. :wink:
Iā€™ve used Cherbourg the Portmouth, Cherbourg route, but as a last resort.

I crossed from Cherbourg to Pompey only last night on their Cat service!! Brittany are not my favourite ferry operators at the moment having done their best to screw my holiday up!! ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– 

Wifey will be penning one of her ā€˜what the hell you going to do about your ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  serviceā€™ letters in the next few days, addressed to their UK MD ā€¦ lets see if they make us any offers