Digital Tacho question....

I am at present an Owner Driver using the paper disc tacho, seeing as work is going dead (Concrete mixer) I am looking at winding up the business, but in the meantime on ‘dead’ days I want to drive for an agency, esp on the run up to Xmas.

Now I am applying for a digi card to use on agency work, but being self employed for about 2 more months, I dont want to spend out on a ‘Company’ card as well, plus the gubbins I will need to download the card.

So what do I do? Just use the card on an agency an let them download it every month? and I keep daily print outs? Or will I have to stay self employed and get all the gubbins?

I have no intention of running bent etc, ie days on the mixer nights on digi etc. What do you agency guys do about downloading the cards??

As you will be working for another company with your digi card and not using it in your own truck, You will not need a company card or all the software and stealth tax download gear that goes with it.

If you havent got a digital tacho, why would you want a digital company card? Unless you were likely to hire or drive another truck on your margin.

Have a read here

If you do as you suggest, the operator is responsible for downloading your card at least every 28 days. In this case you are not the operator.

As already said you will only need the “Driver card”.

As an agency driver I do nothing about downloading from the driver card, except make it available to the company I’m driving for so they can download the data from it.

As far as printouts are concerned, you don’t have to take daily printouts unless you want them for your own records, or the company or agency ask for them.

Remember that when you have a driver card you will need to carry it with you regardless of weather or not it’s been used and regardless of what type of tachograph is in the vehicle you’re driving.

Good luck.

You can register as self employed with an Agency and all you need is a driver card.

tachograph:
As already said you will only need the “Driver card”.

As an agency driver I do nothing about downloading from the driver card, except make it available to the company I’m driving for so they can download the data from it.

As far as printouts are concerned, you don’t have to take daily printouts unless you want them for your own records, or the company or agency ask for them.

Remember that when you have a driver card you will need to carry it with you regardless of weather or not it’s been used and regardless of what type of tachograph is in the vehicle you’re driving.

Good luck.

You can even hire a car with one, thats if you take the digi instead of your driving licence :blush: :blush:

The geezer in Lanzarote thought it was the future, that`s what I told him anyway :laughing: :laughing:

Stanley Mitchell:
Good luck.

You can even hire a car with one, thats if you take the digi instead of your driving licence :blush: :blush:

The geezer in Lanzarote thought it was the future, that`s what I told him anyway :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]

You might be able to hire a car in Lanzarote, but try to get some cash from Travelex in Ashford using a driver card as ID when the machine is broken again, again and again. :open_mouth:

Thanks for the replies guys…

Can you just clear something up though.

At the moment I keep all my tacho charts, that way I have records of all my driving etc etc. BUT if you say I dont need a printout and I work for various firms on an agency, and can download at customers premises, where/how do I keep records??

Sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but digis scare me s***less

Coddy:
At the moment I keep all my tacho charts, that way I have records of all my driving etc etc. BUT if you say I dont need a printout and I work for various firms on an agency, and can download at customers premises, where/how do I keep records??

You don’t need to keep the records for the work you do for other firms through the agency. You only need to keep records for work done under your own O Licence and the agency work wouldn’t be under that.

i think the majority of agency drivers i know that use digi’s take printouts anyway.

or just keep a manual record of your hours you use your card for. if plod or gestapo stop you they should be able to read your card anyway as you will be carrying it wont you? :wink:

coffee,

just to clear something up… he would have to keep them for 28 days would he not? then hand them to the company/agency he was working for?

or do you mean for the two years or what ever OD’s have to keep them for?

Giblsa:
coffee,

just to clear something up… he would have to keep them for 28 days would he not? then hand them to the company/agency he was working for?

or do you mean for the two years or what ever OD’s have to keep them for?

I did mean the keeping them for the year thing that goes with being an OD but either way he doesn’t need to ‘keep records’ (printouts) as such as the details will be on his card which satisfies the 29 day thing.

cheers for that coffee.

it was more for newbies than anything else (and for me with the OD keeping them for a year)