Digital tacho head downloads and fleet inspections

Me and the other shunter are being roped in to keep up with the 6 weekly tacho head downloads,which is fine by us.
But as we are doing it were being expected to do a check of the vehicle and reporting anything we see,even i;e the cab needs cleaning,dash tables,messing with wiring,or even signs of smoking,and any new damage.
So were not going to be very popular with the smoking,living like a pig brigade.

But our problem is,surley this should be done by someone with a bit of authority,not 2 shunters that they think we havn’t got enough to do.

What are your views on this?
Regards
Tonyb

do the downloads, and ignore the rest.
how much extra are you getting paid?

No extra money is exchanging hands.They think we havn’t got enough to do.
The checks have to be done because they have to go into an audit incase the company is inspected.
But the drivers are not going to be happy with us if we think they are not looking after their vehicles properly.
At the bottom of the form it says signed by superviser/manager,which we are neither.
So if a vehicle goes up the road and seizes up,and weve signed the box to say oil ok we’ll be in the cart over it.But oil needs to be checked at the start of shift,and wev’e nothing to do wheelnuts with.
Problems looming i can see :frowning: :frowning:
Tonyb

If this is not in your contract then the company can ASK you to do it but cannot MAKE you do it.

If the company want to promote you etc and set up a new contract which you agree to then fine

tonyb70:
But our problem is,surley this should be done by someone with a bit of authority

I agree, if they want you to check vehicles you should be supervisors/team leaders or whatever and paid accordingly.

You should be in a position to speak to a driver with some authority and advise him/her of what needs doing, giving them the opportunity of correcting anything that’s wrong without having to report it to management.

There’s nothing wrong with the company wanting to check on the vehicles but they’re wrong in trying to get the job done by people who don’t have the authority to do it in the correct manner.

Nothing wrong with doing the downloads though.

tonyb70:
So if a vehicle goes up the road and seizes up,and weve signed the box to say oil ok we’ll be in the cart over it.But oil needs to be checked at the start of shift,and wev’e nothing to do wheelnuts with.

They also want you to be responsible for vehicle road worthiness … that’s not a shunter’s job :open_mouth:

Unless you’re made supervisors you can’t really sign the form can you :wink:

i just can’t see how it can be done.
download 5 minutes.
inspect interior 5 minutes.
vehicle checks 15 minutes.
trailer checks 10 minutes.
overall 35 minutes per vehicle and trailer.

don’t forget to do your usual job as well. :laughing:

on the other hand, have a word with the drivers. tell them what you think. but also tell them, it’s this way, or an outsider, who could be some kind of trouble causing jobsworth. see what reaction you get.

Unless you’re made supervisors you can’t really sign the form can you :smiley:

I wont be signing the form,I’ll put my name on the top to say iv’e done the down load and looked at the items listed,that i am able to check.
But i wont sign it off.

don’t forget to do your usual job as well.
We do have time to do these jobs sometimes.But weve got in excess of 30 vehicles to do.And fittin a lorry in while were moving trailers and doing everything else were expected to do.Is going to be difficult,especially when the driver wants to get in out and away asap.

I’ll just have to ■■■■ it and see i suppose.

Tonyb

don’t forget to sweep the yard, and empty the bins. :laughing:

tonyb70:
Me and the other shunter are being roped in to keep up with the 6 weekly tacho head downloads,which is fine by us.
But as we are doing it were being expected to do a check of the vehicle and reporting anything we see,even i;e the cab needs cleaning,dash tables,messing with wiring,or even signs of smoking,and any new damage.
So were not going to be very popular with the smoking,living like a pig brigade.

But our problem is,surley this should be done by someone with a bit of authority,not 2 shunters that they think we havn’t got enough to do.

What are your views on this?
Regards
Tonyb

Do you work for Stobarts? They get their shunters to do this every week. They even have a checklist to complete.

At one company with a 1000 and another with a fleet of 3000 trucks the drivers downloaded their own data with a USB Dongle that was kept in the traffic office. The driver could also download his own card when visiting the different depots into a central computer. With the shunters I ever had anything to do with, cleanliness was never one of their strongest points. :wink:

you know next the broom will be up your rear end so you do sweep the yard as you go, maybe you should just ■■■■ it up and then they might get someone else to do it, I havent driven for a living for a long time but I never had anyone check my motor for me lo good luck with that but as someone said earlier you should have a meeting with the other drivers and see what their reaction is if you find it hard to see all the drivers at the same time write something down on paper and copy it to them all best of luck