Driver responsibility?

Hi guys I work for a relatively small firm we not had a transport manager since i started with them in February and now one has just started. He has been flexing his muscles a bit with us and now told us every Friday we have to sit in our cabs and download the tacho machine with a gadget and then upload it on the system for him.

Now as far as I am aware isnt it the transport managers job and responsibility to make sure the tacho machine in the truck is calibrated and downloaded every so often not the drivers?.

I just want clarification on it incase he threatens me with my job if I dont do it or forget to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It’s a simple procedure and as far as I know its their responsibility to ensure the tacho heads and card are downloaded every 28 days. How it gets done or by who is largely irrelevant. So if you are being requested to do it then as long as its a reasonable manager request then not much you can probably do about it. We have the shunter tasked to download heads at out depot. So it isn’t unusual for someone to be tasked to download them. Usually takes less than 10 mins a truck as long as they have been downloaded regularly.

simcor:
It’s a simple procedure and as far as I know its their responsibility to ensure the tacho heads and card are downloaded every 28 days. How it gets done or by who is largely irrelevant. So if you are being requested to do it then as long as its a reasonable manager request then not much you can probably do about it. We have the shunter tasked to download heads at out depot. So it isn’t unusual for someone to be tasked to download them. Usually takes less than 10 mins a truck as long as they have been downloaded regularly.

Thanks for that mate just didnt know if the responsibility fell on the driver. I suppose I’m only asking as I dont like his attitude. He is the bosses mate and thinks he can say what he likes to people.

If you don’t want to do it then simply balls it up every time you do it. There’s a stereotype of drivers being thick, sometimes you can work that to your advantage.

the maoster:
If you don’t want to do it then simply balls it up every time you do it. There’s a stereotype of drivers being thick, sometimes you can work that to your advantage.

Hahahaha thats made my day that has.

Pulling the USB key from the head before it’s finished downloading the head is likely to get the result you seek

peirre:
Pulling the USB key from the head before it’s finished downloading the head is likely to get the result you seek

Noted thanks hahaha.

Next thing you’ll be carrying two 5 gallon drums of oil and servicing the bloody wagon, preferably on POA, whilst waiting to get tipped.

Won’t need to deliberately bollox the download up, someone will do it by accident even if the stick doesn’t get lost or dropped and run over in the yard, meanwhile remember to shove a brush up yer arse, dry, and sweep the yard as you go about.

Sheesh, bloody suits :unamused:

the maoster:

We employ lots of stars, that can’t do this, won’t do that, Bums on seat’s, future of the company…with that attitude.

Download driver card at least every 28 days, vehicle head 90 days. Operators responsibility. But it only takes a few minutes, is clean and easy, and if youre being paid for your time? Why not?

Franglais:
Download driver card at least every 28 days, vehicle head 90 days. Operators responsibility. But it only takes a few minutes, is clean and easy, and if youre being paid for your time? Why not?

I really don’t mind doing it I just mind his attitude the way he says we have to do it or else.

an old driver said to me, dont fall out with anybody or you cant get your own back, damm now im the old driver,

hotel magnum:
an old driver said to me, don’t fall out with anybody or you cant get your own back, ■■■■ now I’m the old driver.

I am not sure if it was an old driver, but someone wiser than me once said - “Choose your battles.”

Santa:

hotel magnum:
an old driver said to me, don’t fall out with anybody or you cant get your own back, ■■■■ now I’m the old driver.

I am not sure if it was an old driver, but someone wiser than me once said - “Choose your battles.”

You have done ok santa everyone loves you.

Cannot the person doing it before the TM started continue to take care of them ?

Its their responsibility to ensure its done, not to physically do it. Essentially all he needs to do is stick a notice on the board reminding everyone, but usually it’ll need the company card and the download gizmo. So only one person can do it at a time.

Assuming you have time sheets, make sure you each put 15 mins on that clearly as “tacho downloading” plus any extra time “waiting for tacho downloader”. I suspect eventually it’ll get changed when the boss works out how much extra its costing esp if a few drivers are waiting.

Plus there’s the security of the company card and downloader. The latter could technically contain confidential information about company and drivers…esp for the purposes of this and you dont want anyone accidentally taking it home. :wink:

Malicious compliance is a dish best served against idiots snd they have no comeback. :smiley:

It’s not just downloading the head anyway. It’s checking the time displayed and whether it’s correct or withing so many minutes

TBH it’s quicker to do it than argue about it. Like Santa says, pick your battles

You could also download your card at the same time, saving yourself a few minutes and depending whether what kind of downloader it is

I ask my drivers to do stuff and they do it. Just makes me more grateful for them when I read this stuff

remy:
Cannot the person doing it before the TM started continue to take care of them ?

No one done them since Feb m8

good_friend:
It’s not just downloading the head anyway. It’s checking the time displayed and whether it’s correct or withing so many minutes

TBH it’s quicker to do it than argue about it. Like Santa says, pick your battles

You could also download your card at the same time, saving yourself a few minutes and depending whether what kind of downloader it is

I ask my drivers to do stuff and they do it. Just makes me more grateful for them when I read this stuff

As I said before mate I dont mind doing it at all. I was just wanting some ammo to fire at him not to do it when he speaks to us like children and demands we do it or we will get the ■■■■ jobs.

Ive grafted my arse off for the company. Business doubled because of corona virus and ive done runs during the day and filled in the night shift after a 9 hour break. With no sleep cos the kids don’t let me sleep.

I just can’t stand a 23 year old who talks to you like ■■■■ cos he just walked into job after being in school with the boss. Like the warehouse manager did and another lad.

Our defects haven’t been seen to in months, i had a bulb go out of my unit the other week and they had none spare in the office so they took a bulb out of the truck used during the day to put in mine. Now that truck still doesn’t have a bulb in.

He should do his job.

Go home type a letter. Send one to him and say copied to directors. Post it anonymous. You will see a different person in a few weeks.