Driver responsibility?

WheelsofCardiff:
Go home type a letter. Send one to him and say copied to directors. Post it anonymous. You will see a different person in a few weeks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
aye,and thatl be the new tm in the new company you went to cos they found out who sent it and your teas out with them now… :unamused:

Looking at it from another angle, in light of the current pandemic the guy might not want to get in your truck, or you don’t want him getting in it. So getting the drivers to do it means only the tacho key is passes around, but it is far easier to disinfect that each time it is used, than disinfecting all the contact surfaces touched by someone climbing into the cab.

In a big company there are the proper channels to follow. Letters to HR and compliance etc.
If youre working for a small outfit, be it family run, or boss and buddies, (like here), and if you dont get on with them, start looking for another place. Best bite your tongue until you find somewhere else, but knowing it is only temporary should make it easier.
Winding up the management may make you smile for a short time, but unless youre a bigger arse than this new boy, hell win!
The driver must make his card available to download. Operator is responsible for downloading card and vehicle.
As an employee, the boss can ask you to download it. Its not unreasonable. If you dont do so then he could be prosecuted, not likely if that is all that is wrong. He can delegate of course, but he still carries the can. The Manger of Maritime doesnt download each and every driver card and vehicle head, does he? But his name on the O-Licence, he is responsible. But equally if you havent carried out a reasonable instruction, to do a little admin work, so your job is at risk. You wont have broken tacho laws, but you havent done your job as instructed.
If youre asked in a rude way, see the first paragraph. . And Peirre makes a good point, if you have a dedicated truck, its better for you to keep it to yourself.

Franglais:
In a big company there are the proper channels to follow. Letters to HR and compliance etc.
If youre working for a small outfit, be it family run, or boss and buddies, (like here), and if you dont get on with them, start looking for another place. Best bite your tongue until you find somewhere else, but knowing it is only temporary should make it easier.
Winding up the management may make you smile for a short time, but unless youre a bigger arse than this new boy, hell win!
The driver must make his card available to download. Operator is responsible for downloading card and vehicle.
As an employee, the boss can ask you to download it. Its not unreasonable. If you dont do so then he could be prosecuted, not likely if that is all that is wrong. He can delegate of course, but he still carries the can. The Manger of Maritime doesnt download each and every driver card and vehicle head, does he? But his name on the O-Licence, he is responsible. But equally if you havent carried out a reasonable instruction, to do a little admin work, so your job is at risk. You wont have broken tacho laws, but you havent done your job as instructed.
If youre asked in a rude way, see the first paragraph. . And Peirre makes a good point, if you have a dedicated truck, its better for you to keep it to yourself.

Il just do it. Ive got a cushty job at the moment with them. All I do is drive 130 miles. Get tipped and 130 miles back. Every night. Takes me about 7 hours to 7 n half hours and get paid for 9. I hardly see the bloke too but this week he has been hounding me trying to ring me when I’m at home and I have warned him that with him ringing me about work I by law my uninterrupted break must start again from the end of the call just to try and stop him ringing me about pointless ■■■■.

I walked in and saw a machine on the wall yesterday and knew it was a drivers card downloader. So popped my card in and it downloaded in seconds. First time since Feb thats been done to after months of hounding the company to download my card.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Jonbones89:
Il just do it. Ive got a cushty job at the moment with them. All I do is drive 130 miles. Get tipped and 130 miles back. Every night. Takes me about 7 hours to 7 n half hours and get paid for 9. I hardly see the bloke too but this week he has been hounding me trying to ring me when I’m at home and I have warned him that with him ringing me about work I by law my uninterrupted break must start again from the end of the call just to try and stop him ringing me about pointless [zb].

I walked in and saw a machine on the wall yesterday and knew it was a drivers card downloader. So popped my card in and it downloaded in seconds. First time since Feb thats been done to after months of hounding the company to download my card.

If its a mostly good job, with just one idiot, grinn`bear it. :smiley:
Nowhere is perfect.
Good luck.

Jonbones89:

remy:
Cannot the person doing it before the TM started continue to take care of them ?

No one done them since Feb m8

Good reputable firm then…

Darkside:

Jonbones89:

remy:
Cannot the person doing it before the TM started continue to take care of them ?

NAME AND SHAME

robthedog:

Darkside:

Jonbones89:

remy:

NAME AND SHAME

I would mate but I need my job not worth the risk incase any other of our drivers are on here and wanna get a brown tongue.

Let’s just say I knew the transport manager before I started cos I worked for a firm in the same industrial estate and I know what hasn’t been done. Ive had to refuse to drive trucks since feb just so they get the defects fixed. Artic with a windscreen cracked all the way along the middle of the screen. Abs warning lights on for trailers etc etc. These firms seem to forget the agreement they have with a traffic commissioner to keep their trucks road worthy and maintain them.

Jonbones89:

Franglais:
Download driver card at least every 28 days, vehicle head 90 days. Operators responsibility. But it only takes a few minutes, is clean and easy, and if youre being paid for your time? Why not?

I really don’t mind doing it I just mind his attitude the way he says we have to do it or else.

I think the attitude is the bigger issue really, downloading the tachograph head isn’t a big deal, but I think giving the task to all the drivers will backfire in the end.
I have often found the reason that some have a bad attitude in a supervisory role is because the job is beyond their abilities, sometimes they settle in to the role and things calm down, sometimes they get the push or “promoted” to a job where they can’t cause so much damage, but that’s more a big company thing, or you could be stuck with them.

muckles:

Jonbones89:

Franglais:
Download driver card at least every 28 days, vehicle head 90 days. Operators responsibility. But it only takes a few minutes, is clean and easy, and if youre being paid for your time? Why not?

I really don’t mind doing it I just mind his attitude the way he says we have to do it or else.

I think the attitude is the bigger issue really, downloading the tachograph head isn’t a big deal, but I think giving the task to all the drivers will backfire in the end.
I have often found the reason that some have a bad attitude in a supervisory role is because the job is beyond their abilities, sometimes they settle in to the role and things calm down, sometimes they get the push or “promoted” to a job where they can’t cause so much damage, but that’s more a big company thing, or you could be stuck with them.

Yes it was the attitude that got my hairs up. I will do it but when he rang me yesterday he was talking to me like I was stupid about doing my daily checks on a mobile phone. I said i raised the issue 3 weeks ago to himself my manager and the boss that my truck is not on the system we use for daily checks so I have been filling out a check book since. He then tells me it IS on the list basically calling me a liar without saying it. I said it isn’t on the list otherwise it would be done. He checked my phone and it wasnt on there. No apology tho I didnt expect anything from him from the moment I heard his voice on the phone. Thanks ■■■■ I’m in and out of work without having to see him.

That job isn’t worth keeping if the trucks are in that much of a state

Darkside:
That job isn’t worth keeping if the trucks are in that much of a state

Mine is at the moment. My truck is from a local rentals and is in good nick. So is the trailer. Any breakdowns in this i just have to ring them up. My job is easy now im on this artic run before I was doing class 2 multi drop and really ready for jacking cos of the amount of work caused by the pandemic.

We have some old bangers tho and the lads cry all the time when they have to drive them cos they are scrap. We got told the boss has ordered new trucks for September but they don’t know if its to keep us sweet or not.

But no at the minute even if I have to sit there 5 mins and download info from a tacho machine its still not breaking my balls and I’m still saving money every month.

Once you get out of the yard you can forget about him.
As for him ringing you up at home, ignore it when it rings or use silent mode, you could always phone him back at a more suitable time, and you can use the phones block list for a more permanent solution

peirre:
As for him ringing you up at home, ignore it when it rings or use silent mode, you could always phone him back at a more suitable time, and you can use the phones block list for a more permanent solution

Half way through the night shift, might give him a suitable message?

Franglais:

You took the words right out of my … err … keyboard. That is a sure fire way to put the shoe on the other foot, he won’t like it, but tough.

I’ve only ever once been phoned when on a rest period and it was from some pointy head in the office at 2am asking me what time I was starting (I had planned on a 4am start). My answer was “9 hours from now” , slammed the phone down and started at 11am.

the maoster:

Franglais:

You took the words right out of my … err … keyboard. That is a sure fire way to put the shoe on the other foot, he won’t like it, but tough.

I’ve only ever once been phoned when on a rest period and it was from some pointy head in the office at 2am asking me what time I was starting (I had planned on a 4am start). My answer was “9 hours from now” , slammed the phone down and started at 11am.

Thats funny as hell. What makes it even funnier is what you did is well within the laws of drivers and not many people other than drivers and transport managers know this. Well meant to know

Franglais:

peirre:

I left the carrot dangling when I posted that one :laughing:

peirre:

Franglais:

peirre:

I left the carrot dangling when I posted that one :laughing:

You did indeed. Thanks. :smiley:

Jonbones89:
Now as far as I am aware isnt it the transport managers job and responsibility to make sure the tacho machine in the truck is calibrated and downloaded every so often not the drivers?.

It is the TM’s responsibility to ensure that it is done and they’re in calibration but it can be anyone who does it. At many larger companies it’s often a job given to one of the shunters to do on a weekend. As a driver it is your responsibility to ensure that the tachograph has a valid calibration certificate and to defect it if it doesn’t.

the maoster:
If you don’t want to do it then simply balls it up every time you do it. There’s a stereotype of drivers being thick, sometimes you can work that to your advantage.

No driver is irreplaceable and there’s plenty of drivers looking for work at the moment. Might be worth remembering that.