Difficult question!

Ive got a job interview tomorrow for a ambulance driver (patient transfer), on the application form it states they dont want you if you have had a dr10 on your licence. Well i have, i got a years ban in 1987, learnt my lesson. Never done it since, i have a completely clean sheet. I have past my medicle for my class 2, done the theory and booked in for the 5th Jan to do my class 2 but need a job asap. I feel i should phone them and be honest but that means i dont even get a foot in the door. Any advice please fellas :smiley:

Well IMPO i think you need to be honest with them when you arrive as no point of going all the way through the interview then be show the door when they see your licence, wasting your time and theirs. But it happened over 20 years ago so im 50% sure its null and void but i’m sure some one will be along soon to give you a better answer

this topic might be of some assistance, but then again it might not.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … sc&start=0

If it happened over 20 years ago cant you send off to DVLA and have the offence removed from your licence■■?

Hi pecjam, sorry mate i should of put that, it isnt on my licence, hasnt been for years but i thought it stays on your police record, so i was thinking if i have to have a security check done then it will show up, Im thinking it mite be easier to call them and come clean. will let you know how i get on.

no it does not go on your police record it is spent

Hi Neil, Thats good news mate, i litterally hand my hand on the phone then to call them, as always thanks guys.

Drink Driving? Dont they just stay on your licence for 10 or 11 years then thats it clear? You dont need to tell them about something that happened that far back.

I am pretty sure that this job will require a CRB disclosure. Even tho’ the offence has been wiped from your driving record, I believe it will still be shown by the Criminal Records Bureau. I am not sure if driving convictions show up on a basic disclosure, but they probably do on an enhanced disclosure.

Personally, I would be honest with them and point out the obvious fact that it was more than 20 years ago.

Whatever you decide; best of luck to you!

hi spd0121, i think your right, im going to ring tomorrow before i go and come clean. I do have to have a crb check so to save a lot of crap i will tell them. thanks mate for the advice.

Hi all, had my interview today, before i even got in there, they took me out for a drive, only a mini bus but even so they through the keys at me and off i went. No probs at all, quick trip round canning town and i quote " your the best we have had in two days". All i kept thinking about was drive it like you have a bucket of water next to you. Into the interview i went, have you had any medicle training, err no, thats not a prob then, me thinks it might be as i am driving a ambulance. Bottom line is i can start on 14 grand a year, receive all the training i need, i can then progress to training for blues and twos, for delivery of transplants parts. Do i say goodbye to my dreams of becoming a hgv driver or go for a career with this ambulance outfit. A very difficult decision.

why limit your aspirations to the job johnny- or limit yourself- take the job- pass your test- take your cpc whilst your their- just dont limit yourself- onwards and upwards- its not always easy to get a job whilst youve got a job- but crack on dude.take it with open arms- i doubt theirs going to be a slowdown in medical care requirements.

kind regards

Totally agree with m111wud!!

Take it while you can. Far better to be employed and looking around for other work than unemployed and looking for any work!!

Big congrats too for passing the interview! ‘Blues and twos’ here you come!!

LOL :smiley:

johnny boy 1:
i can then progress to training for blues and twos, for delivery of transplants parts. Do i say goodbye to my dreams of becoming a hgv driver or go for a career with this ambulance outfit. A very difficult decision.

How about - take job - learn all you can - get as much free training as poss and whilst doing it - find a LGV training school that will let you do 1 lesson a week or fortnight until you are test ready :question: :bulb: :question: :slight_smile:

Hey Guys, once again, your right in what you say, interesting enough, manpower just rung to see if i want 1 shift tonight, thats the 1st one in 2 weeks since i signed up, so yes i think i will take the job, do my class c in january anyway and learn all i can, part of me is now thinking just make a career in the ambulance service, just dont no but for now im going to take the job with welcoming arms.

Hope you got on ok rog over the past couple of days.
Cheers guys!!

Quick update!!!
Just got the call about the job, they didnt even interview the batch they had booked in for today, I got the job guys and start monday morning with a 3 day training course. Im now thinking of doing 6 months with them, see if i like it then booking up my class c if i dont. The way the work is at the moment i have to get into debt to do my hgv but there is no garantee of a job if and when i pass. So im taking the advice off of you good blokes and ive accepted the job. At the very least i will be walking away with a lot more training under my belt. In a ideal world though id still like to end up a class c+e driver, think i will just have to wait a little longer.
Cheers guys.

johnny boy 1:
Quick update!!!
Just got the call about the job, they didnt even interview the batch they had booked in for today, I got the job guys and start monday morning with a 3 day training course. Im now thinking of doing 6 months with them, see if i like it then booking up my class c if i dont. The way the work is at the moment i have to get into debt to do my hgv but there is no garantee of a job if and when i pass. So im taking the advice off of you good blokes and ive accepted the job. At the very least i will be walking away with a lot more training under my belt. In a ideal world though id still like to end up a class c+e driver, think i will just have to wait a little longer.
Cheers guys.

Ok, firstly, WELL DONE, secondly, are you going to have driver training for your new job :question: :question:

If you are then you will be using ROADCRAFT - the police driving manual and using the IPSGA driving system.

The ROADCRAFT book available from places like Waterstones & Amazon - maybe E-BAY :slight_smile:

The IPSGA driving system -

Two more for worthwhile reading -
THE HIGHWAY CODE (Link)
MIND DRIVING (Link)

Hi Rog, ive got 6 weeks before they will train me up on the police driving course, they are saying in the past they have had people come in do the course pass and leave. So i was thinking of aiming for that, do as many courses as i can then when the haulage picks up and to be honest i dont think that will be till the end of next year. Then i will do my HGV by that time i would of saved enough, so i dont have to get into debt. I will find out all the details on Monday, they do seem a proper outfit to work for plus i get a company vehicle, dont think i will be out to impress the ladies with a patient transfere ambulance though mate.

johnny boy 1:
Hi Rog, ive got 6 weeks before they will train me up on the police driving course,

You can use the IPSGA system for the DSA LGV test BUT you must add the DSA procedures to it.

ADD - start practicing now as it is different to DSA and average driving.

Do you change down gear (except into 1st) whilst your foot is on the brake pedal :question:

Your just brilliant Rog. Yes i do change down with my foot on the break, Is that a bad habit then mate?

johnny boy 1:
Your just brilliant Rog. Yes i do change down with my foot on the break, Is that a bad habit then mate?

With the exception of 1st gear - YES, as both hands need to be on the steering wheel whilst braking.

This is one of the most difficult things for the average driver to do as the forward vision has to be better to see the hazard, apply enough deep mid braking to leave space and time to change gear and have the gear fully engaged with the clutch pedal up before reaching tha hazard.

Changing gear after doing all the braking means that the vehicle is balanced when changing gear.

Is this fate or wot, I had a call from Manpower this morning offering me a couple of shifts, of course i said yes, after chatting to to lady she said Dec had been a poor month for them, she added if i had my Class c now i could of worked all of Dec, i explained id accepted a job now until things brighten up and agreed id only do weekend work for them. As i sort all that out, the postman drops a letter off, my digicard has arrived, I think the way to go is do as many shifts as i can, save it all up, then do my class c followed by the ultimate class c+e. I think thats the only way i can look at things at the moment guys.