De mount box swappin

Some of our drivers are finding it difficult to find a place to box swap their drawbars,
some are refusing to do it on the services as they say it is illeagal,
Have any of you guys got any knowledge of these,or is the box swapping on the services a myth,and their just trying to get out of doing them?
regards
tonyb

tonyb70:
Some of our drivers are finding it difficult to find a place to box swap their drawbars,
some are refusing to do it on the services as they say it is illeagal,
Have any of you guys got any knowledge of these,or is the box swapping on the services a myth,and their just trying to get out of doing them?
regards
tonyb

It certainly isn’t illegal but some of these scumbag parking operators class trailer swaps as a commercial operation and want paying a full parking fee. We used to swap trailers in Maidstone services and the prat there was rather annoying sticking notices on the cab door as you tried to couple up.

When I did demounts for United Carriers the best place we found was on an industrial estate. The first on to arrive would drop his trailer and front box and then park in front of it. When the other lorry arrived he would drop his box and trailer behind mine, that way it prevented silly car drivers parking in front of the swapbody.

We swapped drawbar trailers every night and that way the trailers were rotated and got serviced in turn as each depot did their own thing, one did body work, the other did tyres and brakes, another did engines etc

i’ve read in a couple of places that you will get charged at some of them for change overs.places like lymm , carnforth and carlisle you can set up accounts for it,

jonboy

You need to try and find a suitable industrial unit or estate which is disused, unfortunately there’s a few about nowadays.

I’ve been doing mine on Heston services, no-one has said anything yet. Last week I did one in the street in Minehead, there wasn’t enough room in the little industrial estate there with all the cars parked.