Newbie on container truck

Hi all.I have just got a job driving a container truck.It’s a draw bar affair and not a fixed 40 footer.
I am based in Shropshire but will be based out of Southampton,so any advise please.
I understand how to undo a twist lock etc :laughing:
Advise on the draw bar and containers etc will be welcomed.
I know I have to take id for a special ride card.
Thanks
Andy

Welcome to trucknet Andy

I would (wherever possible of course) have the heavier box on the prime mover for stability. Obviously this depends on the weight of the box.
Southampton has (IIRC) three transfer areas plus two empty parks. They are all easy to find as they are signposted and written on floor.
As you go into dock gate 20, go up over the bridge, past security and turn left at the island. Take you first left and your into the VBS Arrivral zone. Type in your VBS and pull round to the little hut. You will get your paperwork there. Have a look at it and it will say where your box is coming off and where your loaded box is on. “export box transfer area 1” “import box transfer area three”

Unfortuately I can’t help with where to get your RHides from down there as I got mine in Felix. Who you pulling for?

Of course I stand to be corrected on any of the above!

tonka`s got it pretty right with the directions side of things, if you do get lost ask another driver most are friendly enough, i dont beleave there is a rides card system at southampton but i havent been down there since so november so i may be wrong, felixstowe an thamesport use a rhides card system an tilbury sometimes ask for id when u go in, also hams hall now have there own id cards in place aswell.
Hope this helps.

IIRC ■■?..What’s that please?
Good point about the box weight,didn’t think about that ! Cheers
I am working for a GIRL in Ludlow who has 2 trucks and a mansion,TBH I find it odd,saw a job in the local paper,went to the home address and it was a massive F off house,1-1.5 mile drive and at the end a massive massive house,saw two daf trucks both with 2x20 foot containers on,spoke to her about what I had done etc and she offered me the job,when we talked about wages and hours etc I jumped at the job ! !
She said she bought they off a chap who had gone pop last year and has only just got all the paperwork through so she can operate etc,really nice girl but just the maddest thing I have come across !!
The other driver and I are heading to Southampton for 10am on Monday morning,so nice start to a new job

SalopDrive1976:
IIRC ■■?..What’s that please?

If I Remember Correctly, :wink: i think :laughing:

…Is her name Angela F?

How bloody daft do I feel,I have been googling IIRC container terminal etc !!! I thought it was something at the dock :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

ShropsBri:
…Is her name Angela F?

No,Emma Rhone…I would say about 35-40,fit as [zb] !!! He “husband” (dam,what a shame!!) owns a export company with uk office in the smoke,plus she said he is away for long periords at a time !!! :wink: :wink: (I wish!!)
From what I can gather and from talking to the other new driver just now on the phone she/her hubby bought these two 2010 daf things from a guy who couldn’t keep the payments up ! She has got all the operaters stuff sorted etc and from what the pair of us can work out is going to do this for a hobby ! ! She has no idea about abything,we are sub contracted to of course to a big national and she has told the other driver that she wants to get some more trucks !!!

That’s ok then,the Angela I wrote of would turn you over on wages.

This Emma Rhone sounds fine and I look forward to seeing her face when she googles her name and see’s this thread…Emma,I’ll give you one :laughing:

No RHiDES card at Southampton.

Your employer has to register you on the RHiDES system, then if you go into Felixstowe, go to the police station with id (preferably a passport) and have your picture taken and get your card there.

No idea how to get it at Thamesport, but they’re not that keen with the system there anyway, Felixstowe, you won’t get anywhere until it’s sorted.

As suggested, where poss about the boxes, but tbh, you won’t do massively heavy boxes on wag+drag due to the weight limits, they’re a bit restricted. Seen a few 8 leg rigid’s for shifting 20 footers, but they still couldn’t touch a 30t box, which most of the 20’s we did on OOCL were.

You’re going to work slightly harder than normal container drivers due to dropping 1 box off somewhere, then going to 2nd place to tip, I think the organisation of it will need to be top notch too, no good having your drag tipped and blocking a bay whilst your prime’s on a 4hr tip etc.

During Jan and Feb, I’d expect to do a few single 20’s rather than wag+drag, but I could be wrong.

waynedl:
During Jan and Feb, I’d expect to do a few single 20’s rather than wag+drag, but I could be wrong.

oh don’t know about that. We seem to be busier than ever.

Forgot to add, Nursling is a good local place just outside the dock for overnighting in.

And as always I’ve been corrected… Southampton does not have a RHides card in place at the moment.
Don’t rush to start with. Take your time, you dont know how the boxes have been loaded. You will soon get the hang of it and will be away with the rest of us. Guessing this big national company might begin with the letter M?

Might see you down the dock sometime!

tonka236:

waynedl:

oh don’t know about that. We seem to be busier than ever.

Forgot to add, Nursling is a good local place just outside the dock for overnighting in.

And as always I’ve been corrected… Southampton does not have a RHides card in place at the moment.
Don’t rush to start with. Take your time, you dont know how the boxes have been loaded. You will soon get the hang of it and will be away with the rest of us. Guessing this big national company might begin with the letter M?

Might see you down the dock sometime!

We used to park at Roadways there (personally, I’d carry on to the services though, got paid for and meant I could get a shower and food - RCL wouldn’t let us use the shower), there’s a kebab van thing near the roundabout till some daft hours, and 2 key fuels places - watsons and Debens, Debens also does Ad-Blue which you’ll need for the DAF

Thanks for all your advise guys.
Guess I will know that A34 like the back of my hand soon !

Sounds like a dream job to me!
Running it for a hobby! In other words, loaded already, so doesn’t give a ■■■■ about money. Think you may well be in for an easy ride there mister! Jammy ■■■■■■■■ :smiling_imp:

Once, in the dim and distant past, I worked for a setup not dissimilar. Three rigid trucks, owned by two women who had inherited the business from their dad. We worked out of a small yard in East London doing all sorts - mainly connected with print and cardboard boxes.

The job was great, the trucks well maintained, easy work (apart from the heavy lifting), and we were all one happy family. Then one old timer retired and they took on this new guy - nothing was ever right for him - he totally took the Michael. Me and the other guy thought we would be OK if we just kept our heads down and got on with the job, but this new guy upset the owners so much that they got fed up and closed it all down - just like that - we went in one Friday and our cards and money were on the table - Bye lads and thanks.

My point is that most of us are used to working for employers who know about drivers and how to manage them - if you and your new mate handle it right and play the game you can have a great number here - however if you take the proverbial - then they will catch on eventually and that will be that.

Thinking this is too good to be true,a fab job etc I had a look at a place called cdc for some bits and bobs,coffee maker,microwave,tv and some smallier bits,a grand total of £1085.62,I called her just before 11 this morning,her reply was “No problem,does the other guy need the same” I guess so I replied,just checked my bank and she has kindly put in £1100 !!
I called the other driver and same with him ! We are both over the moon,not only a half decent wage for a “driver” but also looked after !

Santa:
Once, in the dim and distant past, I worked for a setup not dissimilar. Three rigid trucks, owned by two women who had inherited the business from their dad. We worked out of a small yard in East London doing all sorts - mainly connected with print and cardboard boxes.

The job was great, the trucks well maintained, easy work (apart from the heavy lifting), and we were all one happy family. Then one old timer retired and they took on this new guy - nothing was ever right for him - he totally took the Michael. Me and the other guy thought we would be OK if we just kept our heads down and got on with the job, but this new guy upset the owners so much that they got fed up and closed it all down - just like that - we went in one Friday and our cards and money were on the table - Bye lads and thanks.

My point is that most of us are used to working for employers who know about drivers and how to manage them - if you and your new mate handle it right and play the game you can have a great number here - however if you take the proverbial - then they will catch on eventually and that will be that.

I’ve worked in the office side of this trade for over 10 years,NEVER driven in those years,and I for one would certainly not take the p out of anyone,I asked if there was a microwave in the top locker as the new dafs we had at where I use to work did have them,she called me back and said no,then SHE,not I went on to say “get what you need”

Just be careful with the weight, don’t always put the heavy box on the front as with the prime mover you will or could be over weight…
I work on bricks and blocks on a W&D and I always have the heavy stuff on the back…

Will the delivery notes with the goods,address etc on be collected from the same place I get told what bay to collect the boxes from be the same place?..Will they say the weight,and do they also say which box to drop/unload first?

If you type Emma Rhone into google it comes up with a facebook page. Is this her?