DCPC research

There seems to be a lot of negativity towards this course and i can sympathies with that to a degree. Could you all put in what courses you think the 7 hours should cover. remember it has to last a minimum of 7 hours, has to be industry related and cost effective to trainer and company.

I ask because i am a trainer as you may know and as stated i take my job seriously and want drivers to enjoy their day and actually get something out of it.

please don’t use this thread as a slag off DCPC as there is already 100’s of those :laughing:

I think that the Dcpc should give drivers skills that they currently do not have. We should be trained on things like

ADR
QUAP (I bet I’ve spelt that wrong but I mean the fork lifts :blush: )
Hiabs
And useful stuff like a good understanding of London Lorry Control etc…

I hope this helps

I don’t really care what it covers but I don’t want to have to do courses I am not interested in, I don’t want to learn new work stuff at this stage of my life.

ADR - not interested in doing that or carrying it.

Fork-lifts - Not interested in being qualified to drive one, it’s just Go-kart driving with a bit of Tetris thrown in anyway.

Hiabs - again not interested in using one. Seems like unnecessary work to me, let other folk unload the vehicle and I’ll just drive it, no point me doing someone out of a job.

I’ll happily just do the same course 5 times if necessary. In fact if I don’t change job I will be doing the course I did last Friday again in 2013 so that’ll be good because I enjoyed it.

Incidentally, this topic has been covered on a few threads already in the last couple of years.

EDIT. I’ve changed my mind. If there is a course that teaches how to type ‘the’ every time instead of ‘teh’ I’ll do that one. It’ll take me at least teh, I mean the, 7 hours to learn how to do that. :wink:

I’ve tried sitting on my hands, it hasn’t worked. I haven’t got anything constructive to add, so…
imagesCAL4PGA2.jpg

I think i’d better leave it at that.

Sorry for lowering the tone at such an early stage

m4rky:
I think that the Dcpc should give drivers skills that they currently do not have. We should be trained on things like

ADR
Hiabs

I hope this helps

I totally agree with you on the list above and I have been talking to my boss today about getting these kind of courses accredited. You are aware that this kind of training is being offered as part of your DCPC?

Whatever you choose good luck.

As for the picture I can’t see it on my phone will look later.

ADR on a 7 hour DCPC course no thanks if you want ADR pay for it and do the proper course with a pass or fail exam.
7 hours on good holiday destinations might be a good idea!

Long distance clara:

m4rky:

ADR
Hiabs

I hope this helps

I totally agree with you on the list above and I have been talking to my boss today about getting these kind of courses accredited. You are aware that this kind of training is being offered as part of your DCPC?

Whatever you choose good luck.

As for the picture I can’t see it on my phone will look later.

ADR and many other courses are already accredited but they take more than the mandatory 7 hours - The problem is it costs employers more money to put decent courses like these which is why they pump out the mindless drivel that many of us have to put up with.

This is why many drivers pay for this out of their own pocket which in turn again gets their employers out of having to train them with something worthwhile. As it is at present it is simply another tax that we drivers have to pay if you don’t want to waste 7 hours of your life.

At least two 7 hours sessions just on dispelling the urban myths/old wives tales that are always knocking around, eg;

You’re committing a speeding offence between 56-60 mph on a motorway
You have to have TopmegaXL cab if you spend more than 2 nights away
You can’t drive a solo unit on a C license
You can’t have a break until after the first 30 mins of driving
etc.
etc.
etc…

Mind you, it all depends on the quality of instruction. On my CPC operators course last year our teacher (who was keen to point out his 40 years in the industry and that he almost ( :wink: ) won transport manager of the year once) told us that exceeding the limiter on a downhill was an offence.

Id like to see a DCPC course on how to eat an Egg Sandwich without getting the egg on my shirt.
Also a course on how to avoid the ■■■■■ that most lorry divers sprout every time I chat to one on the pumps/cafe etc etc.

msgyorkie:
Id like to see a DCPC course on how to eat an Egg Sandwich without getting the egg on my shirt.
Also a course on how to avoid the [zb] that most lorry divers sprout every time I chat to one on the pumps/cafe etc etc.

I am now going to show you all that not all trainers are ■■■■. This man has a real problem. Firstly I will not charge for this advice. Before eating said sandwich ask the person cooking for. Some tissue, place the tissue in the top of your shirt to hold it in place. Take the loose part of the tissue and pull gently down and then smooth it out across your shirt. This should act as a barrier from egg juice. Failing that don’t get a runny egg. :laughing: this info would normally be priced at £65 per head but to my forum friends it is free :smiley:

msgyorkie:
Also a course on how to avoid the [zb] that most lorry divers sprout every time I chat to one on the pumps/cafe etc etc.

That one is easy. Obtain a foreign language newspaper or magazine and sit there ‘reading’ it, you can hide a English language publication inside it if you don’t actually read teh said language. I have used that trick on many occasions and it does work. If someone fails to spot what you are ‘reading’ and tries to engage you in conversation just nod furiously to everything they say and grin like you really shouldn’t be out in public without your carer.

I’m sorry I couldn’t make that advice last 7 hours but maybe with a few practical role playing demonstrations we could stretch it out.