Dartford wharfage

Hi I worked for the Dartford Wharfage from 1963 and new Ronny Elliot very well indeed, as to my old dad who started working for DW just after the war. The company was owned as part of the Erith and Dartford Lighterage co. I have a photo of one of their first vehicles which is a Hallford made by J&E Halls of Dartford, they also had Fodens and a ERF. The early wagons were painted brown with black mud guards in the late 50s the fleet of O type and S type Bedfords changed to ICI cream with brown mud guards. The first Atkinsons were second hand but after they had been through the workshop and a repaint (by hand) they were as good as new. And yes the TK s were followed by big Js with commins v6 engines. They spent more time in the workshop than on the road. The later Js had straight 6s, much too fast for the time as they all had bad accidents. Theres much more if you like. By the way I have the same name as my old dad Sid Couchman.

my dad worked there for many years steve frost does any body remember him?

does anyone remember dartford wharfage company?? my freinds late father drove for them 4 many years 60s and 70s name of ronny elliot???any imfo or pictures would be great…thanks

I remember they used to have a lot of cream coloured atkinsons an later sed akt.s.I used to see them on the olau line ferry,they would go out mt to vlissinggen with flat trailers to load pulp paper.The custom,s at one time thought they may have ■■■■ books hide in the bale,s of pulp and they cut the metal bands on the compressed bales only to find they could not compress them back.The one full load they searched had to be made into 4 loads as they could,nt compress it!

Hi

I worked for Dartford Wharfage in the early 70s, my father worked for them from 1963 til about 83.

In those days it was ‘S type’ and TK Bedfords, until the first of the heavies (Guy Big J) started to arrive in about 72.

I can remember Ron Elliott but sorry, no pics or any stories to relate

boyzee:
The custom,s at one time thought they may have ■■■■ books hide in the bale,s of pulp and they cut the metal bands on the compressed bales only to find they could not compress them back.The one full load they searched had to be made into 4 loads as they could,nt compress it!

Typical customs, cut first think later!!!