Bedford KM

Hello does anyone remember the Bedford KM from the early 60’s to mid 70;s i have many happy memories of traveling from the south coast all over the uk,proper roping and sheeting in those days.I should have added i was only 12 so it was my dad who was doing the graft :smiley:

Hi & Welcome,

This may be of some interest to you, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=90979

Dave…

dave docwra:
Hi & Welcome,

This may be of some interest to you, viewtopic.php?f=35&t=90979

Dave…

Hello Dave thankyou so much for the link its great what wonderful memories of my school hols
Im also Dave

I remember taking my Class One test at Canterbury in a KM with a 33ft trailer which crabbed badly. I knocked over all the cones so the examiner took pity on me and canceled the test due to snow. This meant that I didn’t lose my test fee and I could get a retest. Anyway, I was working for Speedfreight at the time out of Dargate near Faversham. The transport manager laughed when I told him it was snowing in Canterbury. His name was John Snow.

I passed the test next time because I had been practicing reversing the trailer in my spare time. Then I drove the KM all over the UK tramping. I was usually away for 3 or 4 nights a week. It was a comfortable cab but a bit under powered if fully loaded. Anyhow, I learned how to drive an artic, how to load a trailer properly and how to rope and sheet so I have fond memories of the old KM.

Hello 5 Tony 5
Many thanks for your post,in those day all lorries had a art to driving them,i am sure you remember the ( eton twin spliter ) what a b------d if you had’ent driven one,i sware you could never nick one , the first lorry i had was a leyland daf 8 wheel tipper for RMC sadly the firm does not exist anymore,i can tell you i had a few faulse neutrals going up goodwood hill,many thanks for the contact.
Cheers
David