Dalry Low Bridge

Just a quick question for some of Scottish brethern…

If Im heading along the A737 towards Glasgow, theres a low bridge in Dalry that I need to avoid. TomTom truck wants to turn me right just before it down a road called Sharon Street (Great name :unamused: ) but I was wondering if it would be better heading left,along the B780 and then onto the B777 and pick up the A737 again. Just curious to see if TomTom truck is looking after me or wants to send me down country lanes!

But at least it noticed the low bridge!!

Cheers guys!

Ive never tried sharon street, Ive always took the HGV height diversion through kilbirnie. Its a risky area lots of low bridges, weak bridges.

Ive just googled earthed sharon street and it looks all single track past dalry(2-3 miles worth of it) with a few passing places - doesn’t look worth the hassle.

Go that way quite a bit heading north, i always just use the diversion through Kilbirnie, was talking about this with another driver and he lives in that area he was telling me he uses Sharon Street, well as he described it the street on the right that goes into the housing scheme, that looks dodgy but is fine.

So supposedly it is ok, but ive never tried it.

But when i think about it, the junction at Highfield heading south on the A737 i’m postive that used to be the marked diversion route, wasn’t the Kilbirnie way, maybe complaints about the amount of trucks using the road i dunno so they changed it, but supposedly its fine for trucks to use.

Sharon street detour is no problem guy’s, I’ve been using that route for years. It does get a bit narrow in places and you have to take it easy in the housing scheme but it’s dead easy and quicker. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

What height is that bridge? I only ask as I used to go to Roche Products quite often but cannot remember a diversion, maybe wasn’t on the main road.

Think it’s 12’6" Malc.

Andy smg:
Think it’s 12’6" Malc.

christ some of our rigids are taller than 12’6’’ :laughing:

LOL. Used to go under it every week with the old brewery rigid( Bedford tk), and every time I’d still duck ma bloody head. :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys!

I didn`t realise that the diversion was signposted :blush:

Next time I`ll give Sharon street a go!

kitkat:

Andy smg:
Think it’s 12’6" Malc.

I used to drive a 12’6 rigid and went under a wee 12’6 bridge in Ayr one time. Oooo she was a tight one I tell ya… :laughing:

Steve-o:

kitkat:

Andy smg:
Think it’s 12’6" Malc.

I used to drive a 12’6 rigid and went under a wee 12’6 bridge in Ayr one time. Oooo she was a tight one I tell ya… :laughing:

Ahha, I just looked at google maps & realised I came up from Dumfries and avoided the low bridge, the road went over the railway so I wouldn’t notice it, just wondered because at the time I was running lift tanks on a straight frame chassis, well, we all were.