Low bridge on A96

On my atlas I’ve got a low bridge marked on the A9). 14 foot something I think it is. Another driver told me that they’ve now built a road around it so higher vehicles can go that way. Does anyone know if that info is correct? My atlas is a 2016 version so that is why I’m double checking that infor before going that way!

You are on about the bridge just past Inverurie between Aberdeen and Elgin? You can actually get through the bridge with a 14 foot 11 inch trailer (size trailers we have) but they have signs up saying it’s about 6-7 inch lower than this.
It’s an arch bridge on an s bend and you need to get the positioning of the trailer just right to get through if you are higher so as not to hit it. There is traffic lights on either side of the bridge as its single road through the bridge. I ain’t been up for a bit but one of our drivers said the other week there was a bypass being built around it so I’m not sure if it’s done yet.
Other than that it’s about a 10 mile detour to avoid the bridge following the signs by turning right at the roundabout by Morrisons then turning left at the roundabout next to Morrisons and follow that road for about 4 mile then turn left at a cafe/filling station and follow that road for about 5 mile until you hit the A96 just North of Inverurie.

Yeah that’s the one I mean. I drove nothing under 15’ and I’m in higher than that today. It’s there where another driver told me they had by passed it but without bit being shown on maps I wouldn’t want to risk it without at least someone else confirming that the new bypass of it is actually open

Rowley010:
Yeah that’s the one I mean. I drove nothing under 15’ and I’m in higher than that today. It’s there where another driver told me they had by passed it but without bit being shown on maps I wouldn’t want to risk it without at least someone else confirming that the new bypass of it is actually open

If the bypass ain’t open yet you can still avoid the bridge by taking the diversion route which is well sign posted like I said.

The new bit of road at inveramsey is now open, you bypass the bridge altogether

Thanks for the replies. I can also confirm it is indeed open now.

The new bridge at Inveramasay - which goes over, instead of under the railway - opened in March 2016
transport.gov.scot/project/a … say-bridge

There is one other “low” bridge on the A96 which is signed with a height restriction on the Huntly bypass, but it is 5.1m / 16ft 9in so wont affect most trucks. The signed diversion route around that one is using the A97, B9117 and A95.