DAB radio. Your opinions please

Santa might be giving me a DAB radio/CD player this Christmas
Just wondered if anyone already has one, Any problems with reception ect
I tend to listen to Talk Sport a lot so it would be nice to get away from MW

Santa brought me one last Christmas. Luckily it is dual FM/DAB as I cant get DAB downstairs and only a poor signal upstairs. Seems a lot more critical than FM. By the way I live in Nuneaton, in the centre of England, not out in the sticks. Check your area in the DAB reception database (type DAB into Google for the URL) Probably worth checking if you can plug an external aerial in. (Mine cant :frowning: )

Hope this helps

Calv

Don’t know about ones in vehicles, but I’ve got one on my HiFi. It is utterly, utterly, utterly fabulous :slight_smile:

It’s got an “external” aerial, but at the moment that’s just a short piece of wire. Reception is pretty much perfect.

We bought a Blaupunkt Woodstock for the car in April and it’s fantastic. There are very few places that we havn’t got a signal, we even managed to get the BBC Ensamble in Berlin while we were on holiday.

Got a bug a few weeks ago, brilliant

I’ve got a Blaupunkt Woodstock fitted in my truck. Love it to bits as I too listen to Talksport, Radio 5 and Planet Rock a lot. Superb reception in all but a very few places (that I go).

BUT

Please take note of the following:

With the Woodstock buy and install a proper roof ariel - the website I bought mine from did a package deal for a superb price.

Make sure its getting enough juice. Mine would (and still does get) very very hot when playing loud and as such the standard 10A dropper fitted in the Daf CF could’nt keep up so the radio would drop one speaker channel. Blaupunkt said they recomend a 15A dropper as minimum so this bumped up the bill somewhat.

I find DAB of very limited interest compared to normal AM / FM broadcasting.
At least with normal AM / FM you get some choice, with DAB there is no real choice other than the stations they decide you can listen to, on digital satalite or the new satalite radios you get a broad choice & on AM even with out a loop frame antenna you get some American stations as well as the normal European & UK stations.

Satellite radio has come to the UK? Wow… over here it’s great (even with the lack of Radio 2…) So much music, so few adverts, and you can get it anywhere. :smiley: Brilliant. Glad to see Europe has caught on to the one major thing the US has done for truckers in decades :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Satalite radio is a rip off :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Why suscribe to channels when you can get channel free once you have a regular radio :question:
I meet loads of drivers who have the sets and equipment but have cancelled their subscriptions :exclamation:

It’s not as if it’s satelite TV which is good, radio will pass as one of your fads.

er ok folks, whats a dab radio.

peter cherry:
er ok folks, whats a dab radio.

digital radio :wink:

see bbc.co.uk/digitalradio/liste … gitalradio

doesn’t work here !! BBC digital claim to be able to reach 85% of the population

WAS GIVEN A GRUNDIG OPUS PORTABLE DAB RADIO

oops, caps lock! :astonished:

Its very good, and the signal throughout the house is top notch, unless too close to my body.

got a good 40 or so channels available here in sunny scunny, and 10 of em stored to memory.

the best bit is it gets the local stations that normally suffer from a poor signal, like bbc sheffield, hallam fm, trax fm etc.

For what you get on satalite radio its good money when compared to DAB pat…
If anyone is interested

carolinesouth.com/worldspace.htm

The list of stations you can listen to is growing, unlike DAB & the list is decided by who broadcasts not by who owns the local transmitter.