To DAB or not to DAB....

Trolling along yesterday listening to the Turkey F1 when it switches to the DAB band!

So. How many of us have DAB radios fitted in the dash?

Are new motors having DABs fitted or are we stuck with old FM/AM and CD player sets until the stocks run out?

I had one fitting in my car about 2 years ago. Got rid of the thing because on my 20 mile journey to work I’d get listenable reception for around 3 minutes maximum.

Not sure if its better now but it cost me a fortune at the time and I resent it greatly, won’t be switching over until I’m absolutely forced to.

Incidentally I listen to nothing but DAB (Planet Rock) when I’m at home so got no grudge against the service, just the actual reception!

I’ve got a Pure highway DAB in car reciever which I carry with me in the truck. Reception is getting better than when I first got it, most placesnow it’s not a problem. I find it great because there are more channels, and you don’t need to re tune when you change to a different area. the window stick on ariel is ok, but I do find it depends on the truck. If i drive a DAF, or a volvo, reception is generally good, but Mercs and Scanias sometimes I have a problem, maybe due to the cab insulation. you can get a mag mount external aerial for it which will clear up the reception problems but because i change trucks every day, i haven’t bothered. Also, if the radio gets boring, i can plug my I POD into it, and listen to my own choice of music through the cab stereo, or do my russian lessons :open_mouth: !.
Only downside is that you need to find a free FM frequency to tune your cab radio into, in urban areas, especially London and birmingham, there are so many small staions, some illegal, broadcasting that you do get interference on accasion, but on the motorways and highways it’s great.
If you do get one, make sure that you update the software to the latest version from the PURE website

Our new car (S-MAX) came fitted with a DAB radio. I find it fine and don’t have any reception issues. The choice of stations is not as wide as I thought it was going to be but the quality really is noticeably better. Listening to the Highways Agency channel can have its advantages . . . . . . :neutral_face:

marcustandy:
Listening to the Highways Agency channel can have its advantages . . . . . . :neutral_face:

OOOH I gotta get one of those… The HATO channel.

my dab works great signal a bit iffy down Hastings today but majority of the time okay :smiley:

How long is it till it changes completley to DAB :question:
I think quite afew of us will be without radios if its soon :confused:

personally of think the claim of more channels is overstated
the only real advantage is that Radio 5 and Talk Sport
& world service are available in good quality sound

Planet Rock is good but Bayer Global have dropped the Arrow

Traffic Radio is ok but you have to tune in and out cos its boring with no music
and it is not on a national platform so you need to tune to local multiplex
as you move around the country

Pure Highways are good units with a decent aerial and you have the advantage
of still being able to use the FM radios TA function which is not available on DAB

if your asian or a born again type you do get more choice of channels
and in London theres some wacky stuff to while away the time

Has anyone had a wagon supplied with a DAB actually fitted from new?
Are new wagons having DABs fitted now?