Portable DAB radio

I’ve just bought a portable DAB/FM radio from my local Tesco for £13 (reduced from £28)

It uses the headphones (or output cable) as an aerial and early testing suggests it will work in the truck instead of my normal sized one on top of the dash. Runs on two AAA batteries (re-chargeable of course) - not supplied! Got to be cheaper than a "proper"one!!

Don’t know if the offer is local or national - they had quite a few in the shop.

Dab radios are bloody sore on batteries. I run mine off an inverter!

About 4 years ago, I swaped the inbuilt (original fit) Cab Radio for a Sony Dab/FM CD/Radio (£250).

Whent to a lot of hasle trying to obtain the necessary interface cable ( £25 ).

Was very disappointed with the DAB station coverge & ended up listening to the usual National FM-stations.

Hence within a Fortnight swapped it back to the original head unit that came with the Truck, which recieved the same FM-stations just a well…

================================

So my experience was, a great many of the dab-stations are not National

When the signal gets weak / marginal / its next to usless if your moving.

Thats my 2 pennies worth.

Ho yep, the Sony DAB is presently in my Roller Scate.

Get one of these can’t go wrong .Just get mag ariel.

pure.com/product/highway-vl-60905/

fingermissing:

Ive been thinking of getting one, any good?

You could have a look at the Sonichi S-1000 DAB.
Got mine for about £70 from Halfords. Comes complete with a little magmount twig.

DAF95XF:

fingermissing:

Best thing you ever buy for the coach.

fingermissing:

DAF95XF:

fingermissing:

Best thing you ever buy for the coach.

Cool!!!
Ive been thinking about getting one for ages!!!

I already have an Aldi (Tevion) normal DAB that I run off batteries or 24v adapter. But this Tesco one is about the size of a matchbox; much more portable and so far, in the car and round the house it seems as good as the bigger one.

gardun:
‘…I’ve just bought a portable DAB/FM radio from my local Tesco for £13 (reduced from £28)…’

I’m keen on getting digitally active when on the move - what brand is that cheapo gem, please :question:

Tesco’s own brand - Technika. Reduced from a lot more to £13. I assume they’re nation-wide. If not let me know I may be able to get one from here!

gardun:
‘…let me know I may be able to get one from here…!’

What a nice bloke: PM sent :smiley:

DAF95XF:

fingermissing:

Iv’e got one, it’s great

Pure Highway all the way, I have one in my car and one in the wagon. Couldn’t live without Planet Rock.

I have a Pure HIghway. The included stick on aerial is bobbins though. get one of these, don’t waste £70 on one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121001838610

5 metre cable on it so you can run it round the window. I have mine stuck to the metal bracket for the sun visor on my DAF 85 and it works great, rarely drops out.

As I say though, you WILL be disappointed with the performance of the included aerial.

Good luck

Am I right in thinking you can have Heart Essex (or another ‘regions’ Heart) playing if you’re in Scotland on it?

Yorkysays:-:
Am I right in thinking you can have Heart Essex (or another ‘regions’ Heart) playing if you’re in Scotland on it?

If their a digital station (which Heart is) then yes!!!
Heart Berks and Hants is on the DAB on my car but have Kiss FM playing all the time…

DAF95XF:

Heart Berks and Hants is on the DAB on my car but have Kiss FM playing all the time…

Cool, thanks.
I use Tunein on my Mobile and plug it into a FM to the Truck Stereo, I have unlimited data but I keep losing the 'net.

DAF95XF:

Cool, thanks.
I use Tunein on my Mobile and plug it into a FM to the Truck Stereo, I have unlimited data but I keep losing the 'net.

Yeah Ive got Tunein too and suffer the same…
Shame when VDL built my coach that they never thought of an aux socket on the radio…

its alright having one of those big arieals
but not if your in a different truck every day and have to take it home
anyway i have a few questions

does the dab highway one plug into 24v socket in the truck
same thing for the aldi and tesco contraptions
can you plug them into the big 24v socket in a daf

another thing if the normal fm recpeption on the truck radio is crap
does that mean the dab reception will be crap

another thing if the speakers in the cab are crap or broken
does anyone use one of those portable speaker
via bluetooth or ones you charge on computer
i have all my music on an i pod touch and am thinking of getting some thing like this
what do you think

play.com/Electronics/Electro … 02094335:s