Cycle lanes

Hi everyone, I though it is about time for my first rant on here. So here we go:

Why is it that some (about 50%) of pedal bike riders dont use the cycle paths made for them. There is one road like below that i go down almost daily.

I…I…I…I
I…I…I
I…I…I…I
I…I…I
I…I…I…I
I…I…I
I…I…I…I
I…I…I

It is a duel carriageway with a footpath/cycle path on the right. Well why is it that cyclist seem to use lane 1 of the duel carriageway like this (c = cycles path taken)

I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I
I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I
I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I
I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I

Swerving all over the road. Not only is it dangerous for me and other drivers but them too. They do not seem to care. Why dont they use the path that has cost the council money 1000’s of pounds to build and they dont use. Does that mean we can start using the cycle paths to drive on?

Its not only on that road but all over the country.

Anyway rant over.

Has anyone else had this problem. having to break hard because you cant overtake them safely (because you are on a single carriageway or cars coming up lane 2 wont let you out)

Andy

Geezah21:
Hi everyone, I though it is about time for my first rant on here. So here we go:

Why is it that some (about 50%) of pedal bike riders dont use the cycle paths made for them. There is one road like below that i go down almost daily.

I…I…I…I
I…I…I
I…I…I…I
I…I…I
I…I…I…I
I…I…I
I…I…I…I
I…I…I

It is a duel carriageway with a footpath/cycle path on the right. Well why is it that cyclist seem to use lane 1 of the duel carriageway like this (c = cycles path taken)

I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I
I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I
I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I
I…I…C…I…I
I…I…C…I

Swerving all over the road. Not only is it dangerous for me and other drivers but them too. They do not seem to care. Why dont they use the path that has cost the council money 1000’s of pounds to build and they dont use. Does that mean we can start using the cycle paths to drive on?

Its not only on that road but all over the country.

Anyway rant over.

Has anyone else had this problem. having to break hard because you cant overtake them safely (because you are on a single carriageway or cars coming up lane 2 wont let you out)

Andy

First of all, nice graphics - must’ve taken you ages!! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Right, on to your questions/comments;

I am a ‘cyclist’ as in I do Time Trials so pedal quite a few miles per week for training. Cycle paths are not designed, nor suitable, for the types of bike we use nor the speeds that the majority of ‘sports cyclist’s’ ride at. Although it may look like the better option, the cycle path is no good for travelling at speeds of (in my slow case) 20 -28mph, as they are not as smooth as roads, have kerbs and no end of street furniture poorly located about them. A law that is being looked at/reviewed, which is in place in many other European countries (including Germany where I did most of my training/racing), is that a cycle travelling at over 22kmh is to use the road and NOT the cyle path!

Moving on to the issue of cyclists using all of the inside lane on a dual carriageway; well, being a good professional driver you would give them plenty of clearance (as per the Highway Code) and as such, render the outside lane as occupied and of no use for another vehicle that may wish to overtake you.

As for your comment (having to break hard because you cant overtake them safely ) about safety, again because we are all professional drivers, we will be reading the road ahead and would have seen these cyclists in plenty of time to take the appropriate action i.e. reducing to a speed that affords you the opportunity to react the situation as it develops ahead of you! Wouldn’t we■■ :confused: :laughing:

Don’t get me wrong, some of the people I have been training with do worry me as you’d think they were crash-proof, however, neither cyclists nor motorists have exclusivity with regard to our Highways. If you ever see me ‘too far out’ from the kerb, it’ll be because our tight-arse councils have allowed the road to get into such a state that it is more dangerous to stay close to the kerb than to move out, possibly into the traffic flow.

TBH I don’t have too many problems with large vehicles, it’s the daydreaming car drivers that worry me. It’s not hard to spot the difference between a professional driver and one who isn’t. :unamused: :unamused:

with peterborough being a new town we have fantastic route of cycle paths to take you from any part of the city to almost any other part of the city, most of them well landscaped and away from the roads and the council will even supply you with an excellent map of the network free of charge
unfortunately over the 20+ years i’ve been here, the shrubs shielding the bike lanes from the roads and houses are now fully grown
they get full of rubbish and are a haven for all the lowlife of the city, druggies, muggers, ■■■■■■ offenders, so most of the women and kids now use the roads to cycle in safety

Another member caught the “Dot” syndrome :slight_smile:

Why do cyclists always try to keep up with you :confused:

First of all everone, sorry about how it is worded i had just got in from a VERY tiring night shift. So I will explain a bit better if i can.

I should have said that sport bike (is that the right word) riders, i have no problem with. Its just like following a tractor. You go nearly 30mph so i will quite happily follow you. it is the ones on thier BMX on a main road when there is a safe path to do so on. The ‘‘that will never happen to me’’ ones. They are the dagourous ones. I always give them room as i know the size of my vehicle is a big factor and always see them up ahead, but i seem to get the ones that go flying down a path, come up to a curb and then ‘‘JUMP’’ off into my path (thus the breaking hard comment). They then decide to look behind them. Some of them ride like they have been down pub all week.

I ment by the not being able to overtake comment by the car drivers flying up the outside, and me not being a inconciderate driver i wont pull out infront of them unless its safe to do so.

When you say about you being ‘out from the curb’ im fine with that its the swerving all over the place that worries me. I wont risk overtaking in some circumstances and that means doing 7mph for gawd knows how long. :laughing:.

Thats why i said it was 50% of cyclist not ALL cyclist. I know, no doubt like yourself, there is some ■■■■ good riders, its the others that bug me.

Hope that explains better.

Sorry about the spellings. Time for bed i think. :laughing:

marcustandy:
Right, on to your questions/comments;

I am a ‘cyclist’ as in I do Time Trials so pedal quite a few miles per week for training. Cycle paths are not designed, nor suitable, for the types of bike we use nor the speeds that the majority of ‘sports cyclist’s’ ride at. Although it may look like the better option, the cycle path is no good for travelling at speeds of (in my slow case) 20 -28mph, as they are not as smooth as roads, have kerbs and no end of street furniture poorly located about them. A law that is being looked at/reviewed, which is in place in many other European countries (including Germany where I did most of my training/racing), is that a cycle travelling at over 22kmh is to use the road and NOT the cyle path!

Moving on to the issue of cyclists using all of the inside lane on a dual carriageway; well, being a good professional driver you would give them plenty of clearance (as per the Highway Code) and as such, render the outside lane as occupied and of no use for another vehicle that may wish to overtake you.

As for your comment (having to break hard because you cant overtake them safely ) about safety, again because we are all professional drivers, we will be reading the road ahead and would have seen these cyclists in plenty of time to take the appropriate action i.e. reducing to a speed that affords you the opportunity to react the situation as it develops ahead of you! Wouldn’t we■■ :confused: :laughing:

Don’t get me wrong, some of the people I have been training with do worry me as you’d think they were crash-proof, however, neither cyclists nor motorists have exclusivity with regard to our Highways. If you ever see me ‘too far out’ from the kerb, it’ll be because our tight-arse councils have allowed the road to get into such a state that it is more dangerous to stay close to the kerb than to move out, possibly into the traffic flow.

TBH I don’t have too many problems with large vehicles, it’s the daydreaming car drivers that worry me. It’s not hard to spot the difference between a professional driver and one who isn’t. :unamused: :unamused:

and no end of street furniture poorly located about them

I’ve seen them with lamp post in the middle :laughing:

My biggest bug bear when i was driving on days was upon overtaking a cyclist and there are some lights up ahead i would move close to the kerb to block the cyclist from coming back down my blindside and being in the way when i want to move off , sensible idea …

Some of the few brainless then started bumping up and down the side of the trailer making there way down the blindside by whatever means possible making it dangerous for me to pull off when the lights changed because they would end up under the trailer … :angry: :angry:

Nearly knocked a cyclist off at a right turn junction , he turned right with me on my nearside then cut in front of me forcing me to brake otherwise he would have been over the bonnet …Luckily at the time i was in a car so had the opportunity to overtake and pull over get out and have some choice words …

dennisw1:

and no end of street furniture poorly located about them

I’ve seen them with lamp post in the middle :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: I think that’s called a pavement :smiley: :smiley:

No seriously i’ve seen a cycle path with a lamp column in the middle of it :laughing:

One of the car parks inthe town has a parking space with a tree in the middle. I mean what kind of muppett paints the space markings ‘around’ a tree?

The long and short of it is we all have to share the road so tolerance on all sides helps things go a little smoother. It’s a sad fact that all cyclists, just like all truck drivers, get tarred with the same brush. There are some distinctly dangerous cyclists out there but we’re not all that bad (and also there is a matter of perception - what I think is safe, possibly even riding defensively, might be viewed as aggressive/reckless by others - it’s hard to judge unless you’ve ridden a bike regularly), just as there are some awful HGV drivers on the roads and sadly they are the ones that grab the headlines.
For the record I’ve never had an issue with trucks whilst out riding - drivers seem to be well aware of their potential for causing harm and give me a wide berth. Equally I’m aware of my exposure and am more than happy to give room and not slide down the blindside.
Don’t get me started on cycle routes - the majority are poorly thought out and designed. There’s one near here into Sutton that crosses side roads every 100yds and then veers back onto the main carraigeway… There’s few things more irritating than having to scrub all your speed off and then start again (and again…and again).
As for time trialists… it’s a strange form of fun I’ll give them that (although I would have thought boredom would get you before the traffic would :wink:

Dom Perry
News editor
Commercial Motor

Dom Perry:
It’s a sad fact that all cyclists, just like all truck drivers, get tarred with the same brush.

Geezah21:
Why is it that some (about 50%)

See. I wasn’t tarring everyone with the same brush.

Andy

Round here the problem is the delivery bikes,food,documents,etc.These people are all over the place,on the wrong side of the road,runnung red lights and generally ignoring the highway code.Last year a pedestrian was flattened by a rider while crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing.She died .The rider was on the wrong side of the road and running a red light when he mowed her down.

Sorry Andy, the ‘sweeping generalisation’ point wasn’t aimed at you, just an observation.

Dom

Dom Perry:
Sorry Andy, the ‘sweeping generalisation’ point wasn’t aimed at you, just an observation.

Dom

Dom. No problem. I am not offended easily so not worry. Thanks anyway.

Andy

Dom Perry:
As for time trialists… it’s a strange form of fun I’ll give them that (although I would have thought boredom would get you before the traffic would :wink:

Oi!!! :angry: :angry: :wink:

I could see why some might think it’s strange but it’s most certainly not boring!! How could you get bored of gasping for oxygen (to the point of feeling sick) whilst trying to ignore the burning pain in your legs … and not get run over!!! All in the name of doing it quicker than last time (LOL); no, it’s not boring!! :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway, I managed to knock 1 min 21 secs of my last 5 mile TT time and that made all the pain go away, sort of. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Just a few reasons/examples of why a cycle path is not always the better option…

Marcus, sorry, but TT just leaves me cold. I won’t judge as I’ve not ridden one, it’s just never appealed (up the A1… down the A1 - what’s not to like?).
You want fun, try 24 hour mountain bike racing, whole lot of laughs in a grimly determined sort of way. Although I may be tempted onto skinny tyres for the Dunwich Dynamo this year, sounds kinda fun.
Anyway, we seem to have wandered off topic.

Dom

are you to try and sqeeze between the posts in the top pic,crazy planners.

Just in from a 44km training ride and it must’ve been my lucky day - I had my arse felt by a good looking middle-aged blonde woman!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Only problem was, she used the wing mirror of her Ford KA!!! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: It was the slightest of touches but enough for a scary speed-wobble. I was doing about 28mph and I guess she was doing about 35mph, out on a country ‘A road’.

I know she was good looking because I caught up with her a few miles along the road as the level-crossing gates were down. I told her what she’d done and her answer was “It can’t have been me as I never even saw you.” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :confused: :confused:

A Ford KA was probably the smallest vehicle that passed me today but the one that managed to hit me!!! Thankfully, that is the only the second time i’ve been hit by a car - the other was years ago (when I were a lad!) and resulted in lots of ‘ouch’!! BTW, ‘my lucky day’ because I wasn’t killed. :angry: :angry:

P.S. Just had Mrs Tandy checking me over - lovely quarter-moon shaped bruise on me arse cheek!!! :blush: :blush: I’ll post a picture later … OK, maybe not!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: