Cyclists!

Ive only been driving HGVs for five weeks and in that time I`ve not had a problem with cyclists, until last week…

I was doing a number of drops in central Cambridge on wednesday, quite a few one way streets. I noticed cyclists riding the wrong direction down one way streets, they were actually in a cycle lane though, there was only one cycle lane not one on each side of the road which makes me ask are they allowed to do this?
Im a keen cyclist myself but wherever possible stick to country lanes and go off road. When I was about 14 I got stopped by a copper for riding my bike down a one way street the wrong way. Back then I didnt know much about road discipline as I hadnt got a car licence, I didnt know it was a one way street, no cars about. He said you can`t do it and to just turn round so, has the law changed?

Also, I was in central Stratford on friday afternoon, Id had a brilliant straight forward day and not even got lost once. Then, sitting in traffic, light goes to green about to move forwards, cant see any cyclists anywhere when all of a sudden a guy comes across from my left and bangs on my bonnet. We had a brief exchange of words as my window was down. I had a green light so I moved forwards, could`nt see him, had checked my mirrors and blind spots. I would never ride in front of any vehicle if they have a green light. Will be checking even more in future but I think he had a deathwish

Dakota:
I noticed cyclists riding the wrong direction down one way streets, they were actually in a cycle lane though, there was only one cycle lane not one on each side of the road which makes me ask are they allowed to do this?

Could be contraflow cycle lanes - if you have a street name then I’ll check it out on google street view and post a link so you can see what I mean

cambridge. pah you’ve got it easy chap. try london. you need to have eyes in the back of your eyes or else you will get accused :smiley:

I cycle as well, some of the riders ppear to have a death wish. The cycling community have started putting up white bicycles at the scene of accidents.They are not a warning to live cyclists but to make drivers feel guilty.

I’ve never had a problem with cyclists, all you get is a very slight jolt and if your window is open you might hear a squishing noise :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: