Cyclists choosing not to use cycle lanes

thesun.co.uk/motors/1976151 … ed-by-hgv/

I do not get mad while driving often but this is one of my pet peeves.
I do not get it. We got some many cycle lanes now and cyclists are actively choosing not to use them.

Also it was suggested that because of the double white lines the HGV driver should not even attempted an overtake on that stretch of road. Just stayed behind the cyclist prob doing like 5mph struggling up that incline…

I would say as far as the clip goes both are at fault personaly I wouldnt overtake there but then im overly carefull and paronoid. However the cyclist could move over into the cycle lane for a short period and share the road. I get that some cycle lanes are utter crap badly organised and all sorts of hazards in them. The one in the video as an examople is barely wide enough to get a gnats backside in let alone cycle safley with an appropriate distance and unfortunalty there is a yendancy of drivers to think they are in thier lane im in mine so i dont need to afford them the appropriate space so by all means cycle in the “road” but as said share the road.

as far as crossing the solid white line i remember reading somewhere years ago that you are allowed to cross it providing you are passing a slow moving vehicle. there is a speed limit on it just cant remember what it is. I think it came into law when we used to have horse drawn carragies doing local deliveries

Cycle lanes are stupid. You need the traffic to sweep them clean of debris. Sometimes they are made of inferior tarmac than the main roadway, so it would be better for the cyclists if they didn’t exist.

stu675:
Cycle lanes are stupid. You need the traffic to sweep them clean of debris. Sometimes they are made of inferior tarmac than the main roadway, so it would be better for the cyclists if they didn’t exist.

there is a cycle path that goes past my friends house on a main road with three majour schools on it so come school time there are cars going everywhere and stopping everywhere. the council spent 10 million putting in this cycle path but it crosses the main road 14 times in a 2 mile stretch absoloutly stupid

In the majority of cases cyclists have become a politicised anti motor vehicle use protest group, using wilful obstruction of the highway to further their aims.Calling for cycle ways, which they have no intention of using, to remove the 1.5m passing space being part of that MO.
Notice the 1.5m clearance selectively doesn’t apply when it suits them.

Those bits of cycle lanes where they cross the main road, quite close to a T-Junction sometimes - are total death traps, as approaching mainstream traffic might be looking beyond the already-faded cyclelane cutting right across their path to the set of traffic lights, or roundabout entry point just beyond…

Take this roundabout, “Queenstown Road, Battersea”…

People have died on both cycles and scooters - cutting across on their “cycle lane” only to be mowed down by a large vehicle that didn’t even see them to brake, let alone “In Time”… :frowning:

Look at the way the cycle lane cuts right across the main road in the BBC picture here…

“Death Traps” - I stand by that description. I don’t blame cyclists for wising-up and refusing to use what billions were spent on in a typical loony left white elephant fashion…

I have had a situation within double white lines where the cyclist slowed down and waved me past, but it was a bad place to overtake (dead ground, coming up to brow of a hill) so he ended up causing me a bigger problem, I would much rather any cyclist carry on and let me pass in my own time when it’s safe to do so even if I am stuck behind them for miles.

This should have been addressed in the latest addition of the highway code as follows

1. If a useable cycle lane is not used then the cyclist is deemed 100% responsible for any accident

2. If not showing suitable lights at night then the cyclist is deemed 100% responsible for any accident

The above also includes those bloody electric scooters.

It just a small 7.5 tonner mate grow up