Cutting it Close

Had a job yesterday off the agency come in, sounded nice and easy. Class 1 run from Derby to Southampton, pickup trailer and run back up to Derby.

Got to the yard, spoke to transport office, got shown the truck… was still hitched to a trailer. so had to uncouple it, now heres the problem. Its close coupled, A Reefer so no room for a big cha[ like myself on the walkway to get at the suzies. so had to split un-couple it … I dont like doing this, and have heard the horror stories about it. got it un-hitched and off on my way down to Southampton, running bobtail. I was in an IVECO , a nice inside, nicely laid out compared to some other trucks ive driven. lots of room too.

Get to Hill Hire in Southampton, check and hitch up the trailer im bringing back (dunno why they didnt hire a trailer from local Hill Hire depot). Now im done, i ask if i can take my 45 in their yard. they said yes np, just leave it where you are now.

Time to set off back to Derby, Hit the heavy traffic on the way out of Southampton, stupidly the planners didnt plan too well today, rush hour . need i say more ? things start getting better once im on the M3, headed for the A34. was nice and clear run then all way upto just after Oxford on the A34. Matrix signs showing ‘Queue Ahead’ so i thought ‘OK , just normal traffic trying join M40’ … How wrong was I ? It took me 2 1/2 hours to do just under 2 miles.

They had shut the M40 northbound due to an accident involving trucks and cars. hope everyone involved is ok and makes speedy recovery.

While waiting to get out the queue, a few police vehicles came up with their blues and twos on. follwoing one van was was looked like a camper van, trying to follow the police van through. Now this ‘Camper Van’ turned out to be the police Control Room. but had no lights / siren. and was beeping his horn, trying barge way through traffic. I though along with several other truckers, that he was trying to take the Zb. and jump round a lot of the traffic, and was just an impatient Zb. we didnt let him through.

Decided to head for the M1, as most people would probably try to rejoin the M40 at Bicester. Heading up the M1, and i realise im due another 45, so pulled into Castle Donnington, and took my break. Now im on my last hour of driving time, fingers crossed there are no more incidents. Get upto the A50 and see a sign saying A50 closed after A515. Thats all i need, as im not quite sure where the A515 is lol. so i plod along down and i only need get to the A6. and im a few minutes from the yard then. Got back with 20 minutes drive time left. Was worried id be spending the night in the truck with no night out gear.

To top it off, i was told they would keep the bay im dropping the ‘New’ empty i brought back with me, clear. Wrong, they parked all teh vans and a few 7.5 tonners in the way. so i had to shift all them first. annoying the loading staff in the process , oh well. dropped the trailer, and had to couple back up to the trailer i dropped before i left that morning.

Time i left yard 11 am
Time back 1 am

total shift time 14.5 hours

getting paid milage to and from the job aswell. 85 miles total . should be a nice total for that shift.

Nice little shift diary :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I enjoyed that.