Criminal record

tell them what they want to hear :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: .

If a CRB check was required which it might be if you have to go air-side then you would have been told about it. If they then are allowed to do CRB checks which any Tom ■■■■ or Harry cannot do…only organisations which employ people in sensitive work eg child care, Police, or working in Airports for example…they would only do so after you have signed a form which comes in many job applications saying that you are willing for for a search to be carried out on you. If it is a sensitive area of work then the application form would say that the post isn’t subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. You should disclose a conviction which happened years ago…for a misdemeanour ie not a serious offence eg Terrosrism or something very serious.

PS
Some employers have have been known to ask for information they are not entitled to. If you are unsure, telephone nacro.org.uk/ I have been through all this myself and it really can be difficult. This Labour government havn’t made things any easier with their introduction of Subject Access searches which have been abused by some employers. In Scotland, you have basic disclosure Scotland…which is a step in the right direction which unlike the Subject Access report…only discloses unspent convictions. Good luck with your job search.

gnasty gnome:
One thing you do have to remember is the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Long time since I did an update on it so I won’t even try to go into detail; basically if you are convicted of a criminal offence, depending on the sentence handed down it stays on your record for so many years.

At the top end of the scale, if you receive a custodial sentence of over 30 months it stays with you for life; basically it then goes on a sliding scale downwards.

You haven’t said whether the job requires a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check; if it’s lorry driving it probably wouldn’t but things like school buses are affected. For anything working with kids, etc. the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act doesn’t apply, and if you submit a CRB check potential employers can see the whole lot, warts and all. Employers only get to see this with your written consent.

I hope this helps.
Check this link out for a start;

Law on the Web - DAS Law

That is good advice gnasty gnome except that if you are convicted for any offence…it will stay on your record forever. And some employers have tried to get around the ROA and ask for a Subject Access report which came into exisence so that you or I as ordinary subjects could do a self search to see what information the authorities held on us. But as I said before, it is being abused and this government has done nothing to address it.

if a conviction is spent WHY does anyone have to know .
you tell an employer what they want to hear if you want the job.
nosey gits :laughing: