CRB checks

Hi, I have a slightly delicate question - thank gawd for the anonymity of the internet!

I’ve recently passed my Cat C (yay! :slight_smile: ). I’ve got my licence back from the DVLA, and the training provider ( a fairly large reputable one I am lead to believe ) is supposed to be arranging interviews locally as part of the job placement scheme (which they have stated sets them aside from other training providers): All well and good so far…

However (and this is the delicate bit) 13 years ago I unfortunately picked up a custodial sentence of 3 years. According to current legislation this will never become spent. To date this has never stopped me working in some fairly responsible jobs (including teaching in tertiary-education establishments) although to be truthful, details of convictions were not asked for.

What is the likelihood that a typical LGV employer will ask for a CRB check?
Is it common or quite rare?

As a newbie driver all I want is some experience ASAP so I’m not bothered about rates of pay, part-time/fulltime etc etc

I asked the training provider about this before I bought onto the course and they said they’ve never heard of it being a problem

Any and all advice gratefully received, either on the boards or via PM/e-mail if that is preferred
Thanks in advance
Concerned Newbie of Yorkshire

You’ll be fine, unless you go for something like securicor or whatever. I’ve Never had to have one yet!

Alex

I’ve had a few but it’s certainly not a normal thing :wink:

If you avoid the likes of securicor & royal mail it’s not an issue.

Also, a lot of places can’t refuse you a job on the fact you have a criminal conviction but it does depend on what it was for.

i would check it out, i always thought any sentence less than 5 years and not involving firearms is considered spent after 10 years.
a lot of changes have happened concerning ■■■ crimes, if it isn’t one of these or involving firearms you should be ok
current legislation means nothing, you’ll be covered by the legislation concerning the crime at the time

Dr Dubya:
However (and this is the delicate bit) 13 years ago I unfortunately picked up a custodial sentence of 3 years. According to current legislation this will never become spent.

If I am interpreting this correctly, and without wishing to appear disparaging or judgemental, I’m assuming that you are on a ‘Life Licence’.

And for those not familiar with the term, it could best be described as something that resulted from an alteration, that then developed into violence, which resulted in the other party falling awkwardly, perhaps hitting their head against the edge of a kerbstone, which resulted in a fatality. = Manslaughter. Something that happened as a consequence of a sequence of actions, but was never intended. Albeit that the remaining relatives might be (rightfully) gutted.

CRB checks are essentially required for persons working with the young and the vulnerable. Neither of which would normally be required in the area of Road Haulage.

What an employer might request, is 1} that the applicant disclose any ‘unspent’ convictions, or 2) that the applicant, at their own expense, provide a Data Protection search from Police records.

In my experience, neither is likely to be requested other than by a minority of companies who, as already stated, have their own security issues that must be addressed.

Just put yourself forward with your recent employment history and don’t dwell on the past. :wink:

Dr Dubya:
the training provider ( a fairly large reputable one I am lead to believe ) is supposed to be arranging interviews locally as part of the job placement scheme (which they have stated sets them aside from other training providers)

Why bother using their placement sceme?
its just another means of them making money from you. You`d avoid the CRB checks by finding your own work

i have in the past had to have crb checks as well as credit checks and this was from a well known supermarket chain. when i asked why they said it was because i would be transporting bonded goods you may want to take this into account.also if you just want to get a bit of experiance you may want to try out a few agencies, i have found they do not tend to ask too many awkward questions,good luck

White Arrow wanted one years ago from me when I applied to deliver parcels for them in a van, other than that I’ve not been asked…I’ve only had one very minor conviction which is well and truely spent by now though.

I know a bloke who served a few years for drugs, he’s been straight for a good few years and had several driving jobs without any problem.

I have a CRB but only because my other half has a business looking after adults with learning disabilities, they live in our house and as such I have to have a CRB.

I did mention this once (quite recently) on a job application and the company in question thought I was telling them I had a criminal record :open_mouth:

So personally I wouldn’t bother to mention it unless (as mentioned above) you are going for some sort of security related job.

Doc

Noticed the other day when doing paperwork for a new agency they asked if you had any convictions other than driving.

I supose the answer for you would be yes but there was no box for details.

Telling the truth should not be a problem and being honest with an agency / employer should not be held against you - if like me you were a naughty boy in the flush of youth and have now reformed and moved on that is good.

Where are you in Yorkshire.

have a deeksy at this.it may help.

lawontheweb.co.uk/rehabact.htm

Sorry misread quote

Cheers folks, that’s set my mind at rest.

Just for the record (no pun intended), it’s not a life licence, or anything to do with firearms, drugs or any of the more unpleasant things.

Biker, I’m in West Yorkshire, though only fairly recently and not for too long, I’m not a native of these parts.

when you go for the jobs just tick the no box, i always have, i’ve got one conviction that’ll never be spent from the 70’s and i’ve never been turned down for a job
99 out of 100 never check

when you go for the jobs just tick the no box, i always have, i’ve got one conviction that’ll never be spent from the 70’s and i’ve never been turned down for a job
99 out of 100 never check

Dr Dubya:
What is the likelihood that a typical LGV employer will ask for a CRB check?
Is it common or quite rare?

Its very rare. Usually an advertisment for employment will state ‘CRB check’ needed…

Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, what a croc of ■■■ that is these days,

If you can make head or tail of all this
crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=313

In theory your time is spent for the conviction, in reality people will look at it and will not entertain you,
Just be honest, if the form asks for the info then put it in, ‘Spent’ is your keyword.

B1 GGK:
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, what a croc of ■■■ that is these days,

If you can make head or tail of all this
crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=313

In theory your time is spent for the conviction.

If only that were true…

From crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=313

However, if the sentence is more that 2.5 years in prison the conviction never becomes ‘spent’.

My sentence was 3 years, so that’s me stuck with an albatross around my neck for as long as I live in the UK.

TBH I’m inclined to go with your idea of just ticking the ‘no’ box, I’m only due to be in the UK till summertime then I’m off abroad, I have dual nationality and the crime wasn’t in the other country so it should be left behind to all but the most dedicated of checking procedures. After all, the UK doesn’t appear to check other countries for criminal records for immigrants (judging by how many foreign crims make the newspaper headlines, there’s no reason my other country should go to greater lengths for someone who is already a citizen of theirs.

why is it an albatross round your neck, i was in longer than you and that was in the seventies but never turned down for a job, and i’ve worked for a lot of firms since then.
just tick the no box

Cheers biggus, that’s set my mind at rest. All I need now is to convince some agency/firm to give a newbie their first driving job :smiley: