HGV and criminal record

Hi there.
I did go out and did get a criminal record… its gbh. Please dont judge me. I hope none of U will get in a situation like i did . Now i have to find a way to live and earn money, as i cant do my previous job with a criminal record. So the question is : is there a point of doing hgv licence? I mean, will i get a job ( agency for a start i guess) ? Do they do criminal checks?
It maybe a very unusual question to ask, but i couldnt find it on the net …

In all honesty, it depends how severe the criminal record is.

Yes there is usually a section for criminal record on most applications, but it does not automatically exclude you. It just reduces your options.

I am not prying. Just think about whether you would employ someone with whatever the conviction is.

And welcome to Trucknet

Hi, thanks for Ur reply . I only got gbh on my criminal record and thats it. I know its bad and i know it will make things complicated. But then am not a thief or something so am hoping it would be possible to get a job …

I was under the impression that unless they ask for it then you don’t have to disclose it, go around the agencies and ask mate

NicholasB87:
I was under the impression that unless they ask for it then you don’t have to disclose it, go around the agencies and ask mate

But if it later comes out that you had one at time of application, you will be jobless.

I’ve never been asked about any criminal record during my time driving. I did have to fill in a form for a crb check at an agency when they asked if I would do royal mail. Over the years I’ve met many people with criminal records, one place had six lads that had done time for various reasons, never had a problem with them, usually carried out when they were young & daft. There but for the grace etc.
It would depend on the employer, you can only ask.

Slackbladder:
It would depend on the employer, you can only ask.

This was my point :slight_smile:

Thank You Guys :slight_smile:

The industry is full of criminals, you should fit right in. :wink:

I wouldn’t worry.

GBH is a serious thing though. When did you get the conviction?

Last friday.

If asked by a boss say you have learnt your lesson and make sure it won’t happen again

I work for a company that has day release prisoners with tags working for them and they are doing TPN It’s away of getting them back into the work ethic,some of the drivers are not happy about it and I have an open mind regarding it.The company is allowed to pay them £60 a day. How would you feel about having to work along side these people.

Brian J:
I work for a company that has day release prisoners with tags working for them and they are doing TPN It’s away of getting them back into the work ethic,some of the drivers are not happy about it and I have an open mind regarding it.The company is allowed to pay them £60 a day. How would you feel about having to work along side these people.

I work along side these people on a daily basis and see them as normal people. At the end of the day they took a path which turned out to be the wrong one.