Criminal Record

Not sure if this is the right section or not?

If someone was fined by a court for theft, would this prevent employment as a truck driver? I was told that if you have a criminal record, you cant get a job driving trucks. Is this true?

IIRC you are required to declare some convictions if you want to drive a PCV but not for an LGV.

not everyone wants to do a CBR check on you…so dont worry, there are a few on here I bet with records, the only time it will be a problem is if the client wants a full undisclosed check done on ya…buy the agency would find you other jobs to do…i know :wink:

They don’t normally do deep checks on drivers. Somewhere on one of the trucking sites there is a trucker that will make crim records vanish if you want to go to the States etc.
But be warned!!! As soon as you put that card into the tacho you are guilty of some crime or other!!! :laughing:

I provided the agency with a S.C.R.O. check and a P.N.C. check,agency wanted an enhanced disclosure.
There are 3 different types of disclosure,basic,standard and enhanced.
For a PCV position,I think you have to have a standard disclosure done.
Any convictions for fraud/theft or any incidents involving children/vulnerable adults would rule you out.
For a LGV job,it is up to the agency whether they ask you for one or not,they would probably ask for a basic disclosure,where convictions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

Consensus from this thread was that agencies don’t do criminal record checks.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ht=#187096

a firm i used to work at employed a young lad in the warehouse he was a good worker and in conversation the bosses son realised were he knew him from…because about 3 years previous he had caught him nicking diesel from the trucks in the old yard :laughing:

any how he kept his job until we were taken over and is now awaiting his class 2 test in the new year meanwhile he’s terrorising england and near europe in his sprinter van :slight_smile:

Given that the Government were planning to give offenders free training so they could get their LGV licence when they were released from prison I don’t think a criminal record would be too much of an issue.

Given that the Government were planning to give offenders free training so they could get their LGV licence when they were released from prison I don’t think a criminal record would be too much of an issue.

Agreed - but I do believe that there is an obligation to inform any prospective employer of any criminal record you hold.I understood that if you withhold this information that they can sack you for not telling them in the first place. I could be wrong but I was told this by a person who had served six months in prison. They said they were having trouble finding employment as they were obliged by law to reveal there criminal record.

AFAIK you only have to disclose it if they ask for that information on the application form. If they don’t ask you don’t need to tell them.

Mothertrucker:
Agreed - but I do believe that there is an obligation to inform any prospective employer of any criminal record you hold.

Only if someone asks the question. There is no obligation to offer the information if it has not been requested.

I understood that if you withhold this information that they can sack you for not telling them in the first place. I could be wrong but I was told this by a person who had served six months in prison.

And it is also an offence under Sec 16 Theft Act 1968. Obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception.

Rules for when convictions are ‘spent’ can be found HERE.

For the people who have been a bit ‘wild’ in their youth, the time when it really comes back to ‘bite them on the arse’ is if they ever want to visit the States. Whilst they might find that their wife and kids are welcome, there is every chance they they will not be.

Particularly if the record includes anything relating to drugs or drink/driving.

I reckon it is always best to come clean and tell the prospective employer all the details of the offence. Quiet often they will appreciate the honesty and let you have the job anyway.
Also if you do that then there can be no come back if anybody has it in for you and decides to ‘shop’ you to the company.
Makes you blackmail proof if you have nothing to hide and you dont have to worry in case your past is found out.