Cracked windscreen question

Is a unit roadworthy if it has a cracked windscreen (top to bottom) on passenger side, but not in drivers line of vision.?
Should it be defected and NOT driven or is the position of crack the significant bit ?

Would it pass an MOT with the windscreen in that condition? It sounds from your description that it wouldn’t so that’s the answer, of course if you get tugged it only just happened a couple of miles down the road so I wouldn’t say it is a reason not to take it out. :wink:

keano1:
Is a unit roadworthy if it has a cracked windscreen (top to bottom) on passenger side, but not in drivers line of vision.?
Should it be defected and NOT driven or is the position of crack the significant bit ?

i had mine replaced a few months back as was told as soon as it gets into the wipe area , its effectively in your line of vision & needs to be replaced

Isn’t the windscreen now an integral part of the vehicles structure?

MolePower:

keano1:

i had mine replaced a few months back as was told as soon as it gets into the wipe area , its effectively in your line of vision & needs to be replaced

That is excactly what the law says, when it is in the wiper area it’s not roadworthy, and need to be replaced or repaired
It wouldn’t pass a 6 weekly.

And yes if the windscreen is glued in, than it’s part of the vehicle structure.

I thought that it was illegal if the crack runs from the edge of the windscreen to an edge of the windscreen regardless of where the crack is, is that wrong ?

tachograph:
I thought that it was illegal if the crack runs from the edge of the windscreen to an edge of the windscreen regardless of where the crack is, is that wrong ?

Not wrong - you are spot on

The integral strength of the windscreen has been compromised as it is now in two parts - no matter how big or small those parts are

ROG:

tachograph:

Not wrong - you are spot on

The integral strength of the windscreen has been compromised as it is now in two parts - no matter how big or small those parts are

That’s what I thought, thanks for confirming it :wink:

drew30:

On a monocoque{sp}? car yes,very much. But on a truck with a chassis? :confused:

Dunno then?:

drew30:

On a monocoque{sp}? car yes,very much. But on a truck with a chassis? :confused:

From what I remember the law does not distinguish between different modern vehicles - just one for all windscreens

I had a mate on the AA who had 3 windscreens in his Transit before he discovered his glasses were cracked. Doesnt answer your question though.

Mick.

tachograph:

This is what I’m lead to beleive, if it goes rubber too rubber it’s illegal