Cracked Windscreen ... Legal?

Is it legal to drive with windscreen this badly cracked.
It is passenger side so not obscuring drivers view, but thinking may be in danger of giving way completly, or affecting the strength of the cab in an accident?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … manual.pdf

I think it’s OK according to the MoT manual, as it doesn’t restrict view and there’s no displacement of the glass etc
Requirements are a bit more lax for a truck than they are for a car

That prob won’t get changed till mot

I always understood the rule of thumb was, so long as not in driver’s main view and didn’t go from border to border, you’d be ok…but, if you find the sun or street/headlights catching on the crack and dazzling you then suggest you write a defect out to that effect stating you are being dazzled by light reflections.
Won’t make much difference to structural integrity, its the laminate layers that give it strength when its glued in.

You ever know a gust of wind might thump that crack on the next trip out, the crack might travel to the top or side of the screen :wink:

Dave73-UK:
but thinking may be in danger of giving way completly, or affecting the strength of the cab in an accident?

It’ll do neither. It’s a laminated screen so there’s more than one layer of glass with a film in the middle and just one layer has cracked. It is the old toughened glass screens that used to shatter and they shattered, they didn’t crack.

This comes to mind lol. . . Think someone posted something similar a few years ago

Problem is, in my experience, it won’t stop there, it’ll keep on growing until it is definitely illegal: one of my former co-workers once left me with a cracked windscreen at the end of his stint, :imp: it was about two inches long, I thought it would be ok till the next day. By the end of that first day it had spread to over 18 inches long, right up into the middle of the swept area.

Get a felt tip pen or a bit of sellotape and mark the end of it, then you’ll know it is cracking further.

Get a felt tip pen or a bit of sellotape and mark the end of it then you’ll know if it is spreading.

Juddian:
I always understood the rule of thumb was, so long as not in driver’s main view and didn’t go from border to border, you’d be ok…but, if you find the sun or street/headlights catching on the crack and dazzling you then suggest you write a defect out to that effect stating you are being dazzled by light reflections.
Won’t make much difference to structural integrity, its the laminate layers that give it strength when its glued in.

You ever know a gust of wind might thump that crack on the next trip out, the crack might travel to the top or side of the screen :wink:

Or hitting a big pot hole at speed, that normally helps it spread

we used to drill a hole at the end of a crack to stop the spread, if not in front of the driver it was fine for the mot,

Err crack on :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Scraggy88:
This comes to mind lol. . . Think someone posted something similar a few years ago

I guess that eagle lost that dare then… :laughing: :laughing:

Just crack on drive, it won’t hurt the fluffy bunnies, put it in your defect book…
Now if you work for a blue pointy plobber firm, Defect it, VOR, refuse, as you don’t want the four horsemen of the apocalypse, delivering you a repremand for driving a dangerous motor…

DAF95XF:

Scraggy88:

The eagle made a miraculous recovery and actually flew again. . .

(I guess as with the USA. . . No sense, no feeing :neutral_face:)

dailyanimalfwd.blogspot.com/2011 … d.html?m=1

Scraggy88:

DAF95XF:

Scraggy88:

The eagle made a miraculous recovery and actually flew again. . .

(I guess as with the USA. . . No sense, no feeing :neutral_face:)

dailyanimalfwd.blogspot.com/2011 … d.html?m=1

Oh wow that’s good to hear, that pic made me sad thinking out the end of a majestic creature

Re original post a laminated screen won’t give way that easily, looks fine to me. Will grow but not affecting drivers view

There are three zones that are took into account on a screen, zone A is a vertical area centered 350mm (on LGV’s over 3.5t) from the steering wheel within the swept area, zone B is the swept area and then zone C the remainder of the screen outside the swept area. The crack in the pic is in zone B and the manual states a single damaged area should be contained within a 40mm area (10mm for zone A), this is more for stone chip or similar damage. In the case of a crack in the swept area if it reaches two points at the edge this deems the screen insecure. The crack in the photo therefore hasn’t done this, yet! It would be a case though of getting the screen changed as soon as practicable it will only spread it looks like it has anyway. Franky.

Regulation 30 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986 No. 1078 as amended)

gov.uk/government/publicati … bscuration