Coupling and un-coupling using air

Hi all,

Can I check I’ve got this right?

Couple

Reverse unit up to trailer, lower suspension and slowly reverse under trailer, stop, raise suspension until trailer legs lift and then reverse until fifth wheel engages with pin, tugs, then set ‘auto level’ on suspension?

Un-Couple
Pull fifth wheel handle, slowly move forward, stop, lower air, drive out and then set it back to ‘auto level’?

Is the above correct? It’s something that always goes through my mind before an assessment and I’d just like to know I’ve got it right. Also how far does the unit have to go before raising it on a couple? Does the fifth wheel need to be under the front of the trailer?

A picture would be useful, but if someone can confirm what’s what I think I’d feel more settled having a go with the air if that’s what was required.

Cheers

Martyn

Yes that’s what I do. Just go in enough so your fifth wheel is under the trailer before you lift it. I only reset the suspension after I’ve raised the trailer legs in case it goes down too far and puts them back on the ground.
Uncoupling, I only pull forward two feet or so before dropping it back onto the legs.

what about trailer brakes ? :exclamation:

All you are doing is getting the 2 plates level without scraping all the grease off the two surfaces, too high with the fifth wheel, all you do is push the fett backwards, too low and you have a chance of a miscouple.

Most units are missing run up ramps as air suspension doesn’t need them. When coupling or uncoupling bear in mind that these new lightweight landing legs are easily bent, so take a bit of weight once you are coupled as the neck will have probably sagged. For the same reason, take your time uncoupling, let the air suspension settle while you do your circle checks

When you make contact with the pin, there should be a light click like closing a good quality car door :blush:

Trailer brake? I know the couple/uncouple procedure I’m just enquiring about the actual use of air suspension to couple and uncouple seen as its not done in training, yet it seems companies want you using it so you don’t bend the trailers legs, which is fine.

Mainly wanted to know where the fifth wheel should be when you raise the suspension before fully reversing and hitting the pin.

you could do all you say without actually stopping, aslong as the trailer hasnt been dropped silly low.

but only reset the ride height once your landing legs are up.

Wheel Nut:
All you are doing is getting the 2 plates level without scraping all the grease off the two surfaces, too high with the fifth wheel, all you do is push the fett backwards, too low and you have a chance of a miscouple.

Most units are missing run up ramps as air suspension doesn’t need them. When coupling or uncoupling bear in mind that these new lightweight landing legs are easily bent, so take a bit of weight once you are coupled as the neck will have probably sagged. For the same reason, take your time uncoupling, let the air suspension settle while you do your circle checks

When you make contact with the pin, there should be a light click like closing a good quality car door :blush:

+1 ^^That’s all you need to know^^

Just one other thing about using air

If your trailer is fully loaded and heavy raise the suspension just slightly before dropping the landing gear

If you do this the trailer will settle at the right height when you do lower your suspension and it will also allow you to get out easily and the next driver to get under as well :wink: