Drop & Catch

Hi start my first C+E job on monday the company has a policy on the drop & catch that is that after you uncouple you then lower the unit suspension before pulling out , then when recoupling you back under you then raise the suspension before coupling !any tips as ive never done it this before would be welcome . :smiley:

Here is a picture I found on the internet.
Doesn’t need further explanation and most trucks have a similar control.
You will find it on the end of a wander lead somewhere near the offside of the driver’s seat base.

Regards,
Nick

Reverse up to your trailer. Drop air suspension, reverse under the trailer (not all the way but just so your 5th wheel is under) then raise your suspension to the top and reverse under until you grab the trailer. Tbh I do this all the time anyway, it makes sure the 5th wheel plate is flush with the trailer before you grab the pin. to uncouple just reverse the above. But make sure you pull forward from the king pin slightly before you drop your suspension.

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?rxrxl5

I had to do this for the first time last week, and it is very easy to do.

When you uncouple, go through the usual actions - brake, legs, airlines, number plate, pull the pin, then draw forwards about 12-18". Lower the suspension until the fifth wheel is clear of the trailer rubbing plate, pull slowly all the way out, then when totally clear, press the button to return to ride height, and away you go.

For coupling, after you’ve done all your checks, back up towards the trailer, and in line with the pin. When you’re a bit away from the trailer, jumpt out, lower the suspension until you can see that the fifth wheel is below the level of the rubbing plate, and reverse slowly in, until the fifth wheel is fully under the rubbing plate, but before it has got to the pin. Lift the suspension until you see the trailer start to lift, then reverse in slowly until the pin catches, do your tug tests, and then carry on with the couple-up in the usual way. When you’re all done, press the ride height button, and away you go.

Gary

A lot work like this now. Make sure that when you start to reverse back under the next trailer, you are at approx the right height because many of todays trucks have not got ‘run-up’ bars behind the 5th wheel. If you are too high, you can hit the trailer front just above the rubbing plate and damage it, too low, you can miss the pin and crunch the back end of the cab.
I always try to get just under the plate but before the pin, lift the suspension until the legs are just off the ground (10mm), then reverse onto the pin. That saves you spraining the legs and making them hard to wind up.
Obviously, you should ensure the trailer brake is on prior to doing this and also, if close coupled, connect the trailer up before going the rest of the way under to the pin.

The easiest way to do it is to set a routine that suits you (and your particular operation) and don’t let anyone or anything, interrupt this routine. Phones and folk can wait for 2 minutes!

Thanks chaps brill advise :smiley: