This is how I do it, feel free to give me some pointers :wink:

Couple:
Reverse under with suspension down.
Lift trailer up.
Push back into pin.
Wind legs up.
Set normal ride height & off you go.

Uncouple:
At normal ride height, park, drop legs (to floor).
Raise suspension, pull clear from pin only.
Lower suspension so fifth wheel loses contact with trailer.
Pull clear.
Raise to normal height & off you go.

I find this way is less stressful on the unit, trailer and tarmac, I have been shown other ways but they seem to cause problems.

PS, this is not a comprehensive guide to un/coupling, just for setting the suspension only, of course there are susies, brakes, clip etc that need to be done.

Thanks for this Madbaz, I,ve only ever coupled/uncoupled on my test and training so I’ve never encountered the suspension and ride height issue…now I have some idea at least :open_mouth:

I’ll have a nose through the training pointers on here as well :wink:

Tazbug

MADBAZ:
Uncouple:
Pull clear.

I don’t raise the suspension when uncoupling unless I’m in a very restricted area and need to turn as I pull away from the pin (a rare occurrence), I don’t really see the point to be honest :confused:

tachograph:
I don’t raise the suspension when uncoupling unless I’m in a very restricted area and need to turn as I pull away from the pin (a rare occurrence), I don’t really see the point to be honest :confused:

Would the tyres not be rubbing on the underside of the mudguards :question:

lankyphil:

tachograph:

Would the tyres not be rubbing on the underside of the mudguards :question:

If you’re at ride height when you pull forward of the pin I don’t see why the tyres would be rubbing on anything, surely that would mean you’d been driving with the tyres rubbing :confused:

Having said that I don’t see any harm in raising the suspension when uncoupling, I’m just saying I don’t see the point, I’m sure someone will be along to explain why it should be done though :wink:

I drop the legs to the floor then raise suspension to uncouple for acouple of reasons, when trailer is loaded it sags at the front and to be kind to the yard & legs, if I’m not straight I don’t want to be dragging it for a couple of inches sideways. I’ve been advised to wind the legs back up a couple of turns :open_mouth: , but the problm with that is when it’s dropped by a XF the FH’s struggle to get under, as I found out today :frowning: . I suppose it’s preference, and like Tacho says there’s no harm afaik.

MADBAZ:

Couple:
Lift trailer up.
Push back into pin.
Wind legs up.

Uncouple:
Pull clear.

I find this way is less stressful on the unit, trailer and tarmac, I have been shown other ways but they seem to cause problems.

PS, this is not a comprehensive guide to un/coupling, just for setting the suspension only, of course there are susies, brakes, clip etc that need to be done.

Be careful doing the above if you’re new to it…if you lower a bit too far and reverse a bit too much before raising the suspension you could miss the pin and end up with a trailer embedded in your cab… :blush:

Cheers, got that covered I think, I go just far enough so all the fifth wheel is under, no grease on the front of the trailer :smiley:. As I’m still new at it, I will stop and check if I’m not 100% sure and I don’t give a hoot who’s watching.

When I drop an empty and I know something heavy s going onto it I raise mine slightly so that when I need to go back under its easier and you don’t struggle…

Truckulent:

MADBAZ:

Couple:
Lift trailer up.
Push back into pin.
Wind legs up.

Uncouple:
Pull clear.

Be careful doing the above if you’re new to it…if you lower a bit too far and reverse a bit too much before raising the suspension you could miss the pin and end up with a trailer embedded in your cab… :blush:

While I understand what you’re saying, you’ll always be new to it if you never do it, even with 25+ yrs of driving experience. :stuck_out_tongue:

MADBAZ:

Couple:
Lift trailer up.
Push back into pin.
Wind legs up.

Uncouple:
Pull clear.

If your split coupling don’t forget the trailer brake…it’s a life saver!

Regards SB

smokinbarrels:

MADBAZ:

…

If your split coupling don’t forget the trailer brake…it’s a life saver!

Regards SB

Good point, seeing as the only trailer brake that I’ve ever seen on, was on the training trailer :open_mouth: .

Sam Millar:

Truckulent:

MADBAZ:

Couple:
Lift trailer up.
Push back into pin.
Wind legs up.

Uncouple:
Pull clear.

While I understand what you’re saying, you’ll always be new to it if you never do it, even with 25+ yrs of driving experience. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, but if you get it wrong you’ll never live it down…and might even get the sack, depending on the circumstances. You need to jump out and have a look if you’re uncertain - as assuming it will be ok is likely to result in expensive mistakes…Obviously experience helps a lot with this one…

Truckulent:

MADBAZ:

Couple:
Lift trailer up.
Push back into pin.
Wind legs up.

Uncouple:
Pull clear.

that can happen to any driver if they are to ignorant or thick to get out of cab and check the level of the pin prior to coupling that is basics …

I haven’t commented so far, but this is how I do it when I have air suspension.

I drive round until I see my trailer, noting whether it is sat level or on its arse, if it is level I line up reversing back slowly whilst lowering the tractor. In one steady movement as soon as the fifth wheel jaws have gone under the strike plate. I raise the suspension to ride height or slightly more to take pressure off the legs. I can tell if the pin has gone home properly by the sound, it comes with experience. I am not being clever here but what you are listening for is a positive click, not a loud bang or a sudden stop where your TV comes off the shelf above. Raise the suspension, do a tug test.

It does take practice, but what you see in the mirror is as good a guide as anything. I have never missed the pin using this method, or lost a trailer.

Also when I have done my tug test I will wind my legs up, and lower the tractor suspension to the floor, connect up the airlines, electrics and hydraulics etc. Reset the air suspension while fitting the number plate and checking lights. The last but one job is the safety clip if required. I will then bob under the trailer and check the locking bar is locked

I haven’t forgotten the handbrake. I checked that when I checked the trailer was mine, if it was loaded and fit for purpose. Why connect up to a trailer with a flat tyre? :stuck_out_tongue:

I would avoid picking up a trailer that was still being loaded, especially a tanker, but even a box van could be jarred just as the ramp is being used by a fork truck or pedestrian

Being rather paranoid, and occasionally driving units with no ramps, I always get out and check relative pin height before backing under trailer. Only takes a moment…
Not lost any mudguards or lights yet :open_mouth:
Easy to get complacent and get caught out when someone has dropped a trailer when their suspension has been fully up, difficult to explain away the damage to suzies and that big dent in the back of the cab :unamused: :unamused:

I don’t really understand these comments about going under the pin, if you raise the suspension well before the 5th wheel reaches the pin you will easily see the front of the trailer rise.

If you don’t see the trailer rise surely anyone with even half a brain would realise something’s wrong and get out and look.

I would say that the method described by the OP is the easiest quickens and safest way of coupling.

You should lift the trailer up abit before you drop it if its heavy, some lorries dont have run up ramps so you end up ripping the mud guards off when you next go to hook up on to it if its sitting too low.