Correct me if i am wrong

I just know you will all want to keep me right… I have heard of 2 instances in recent weeks of Scottish pallet artics being double manned, (2 different companies) … both times the Scottish driver has started from the Glasgow/Edinburgh central area, come down to either Carlisle or Penrith (roughly 2 hrs drive plus vehicle check time) he has then picked up his second man(agency), and between them gone down to a Midlands hub, tipped and loaded, then back up and dropped second man off, then back up to Scotland. On both occasions the Scottish driver would be able to do this within 15 hours… BUT surely the rule is that the second man must join within the first hour… or am I missing something ■■? if they can keep it under 15 hrs does this double manning rule still apply ■■?..

i thought the same as you ,the second man has to be picked up within the first hour

So did I but then I’ll be the first to admit I’ve only got the vaguest clue about Tacho law. :wink:

Someone will be along soon with the definitive answer I’m sure.

Double Manned Vehicles
‘Multi-manning’ is the situation where, during each period of driving between any two consecutive daily rest periods, or between a daily rest period and a weekly rest period, there are at least two drivers in the vehicle to do the driving. For the first hour of multi-manning the presence of another driver or drivers is optional, but for the remainder of the period it is compulsory. This allows for a vehicle to depart from its operating centre and collect a second driver along the way, providing that this is done within 1 hour of the first driver starting work.

If these strict conditions cannot be complied with, then drivers sharing duties on a journey will individually be governed by single manning rules and will not be able to use the following variation to the daily rest requirement -

Trukkertone:
if they can keep it under 15 hrs does this double manning rule still apply ■■?..

Going by the above quote, I would say NO.

transportsfriend.org/hours/rest.html

Ah yes, I missed the important point. If the Scottish driver can do his shift within 15 hours then it doesn’t t matter when he picks the other driver up.

Harry Monk:
Ah yes, I missed the important point. If the Scottish driver can do his shift within 15 hours then it doesn’t t matter when he picks the other driver up.

Exactly. They aren’t working to double man rules so doesn’t matter when the other guy joins. He can get in, do 4.5 hours driving while the first guy has a break.

Posted by Coffeeholic (using this hacked account after News of the World training)