Double Manning

right ladies and gents, a quick question

i am double manning tomorrow from down south up to glasgow and then hopefully on my own up to aberdeen, the question is what are the implications of this. we will start at exactly the same time in the morning and share the driving up to glasgow where the other driver will pick up his unit and we will both head towards aberdeen.

what are the implications of this?

im guessing that we just stick to the 4 1/2 hour driving periods and 9/10 hours driving per shift and 15 hour max day? does it make any difference that he is getting out of my wagon in to his own or not? as long as we both have a card in from the start i personaly cant see a problem with this, can anyone else?

I can’t see a problem with that. As you have correctly surmised you are both still limited to the single driver limits despite spending part of the day double manning one vehicle.

It could be the case, depending what else you have done this week and since last weekly rest that you both may not have extended driving days or reduced daily rest periods available.

If you are going to swap drivers on the way to Glasgow and crack on without taking a 45 minute break then it might be an idea to note on the back of the chart or a printout the period you were double manning for. If one of you is taking their break in the passenger seat while the vehicle is moving that period will not record as break, it will record as POA, but VOSA will accept the first 45 minutes of POA as break under those circumstances, hence a note on the chart helping to explain the apparent lack of a break period…

Coffeeholic:
I can’t see a problem with that. As you have correctly surmised you are both still limited to the single driver limits despite spending part of the day double manning one vehicle.

It could be the case, depending what else you have done this week and since last weekly rest that you both may not have extended driving days or reduced daily rest periods available.

neil

were both coming back to work after a weekly rest so all driving has been reset (with exception of 10 hours drives until sunday night) effectively.

cheers neil

Lee G:

Coffeeholic:

neil

were both coming back to work after a weekly rest so all driving has been reset (with exception of 10 hours drives until sunday night) effectively.

cheers neil

Just to be pedantic, 'cause that’s what I do, :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: none of your driving has been reset. You are still working to the same 56 hour weekly and 90 hour fortnightly limits and 2 x extended driving days as you were before your weekly rest began, unless you have been on rest since Sunday. The only things which have been reset are reduced daily rest periods available and when you must take a weekly rest.

Just to be (almost) as pedantic …

Will you be taking a daily rest when you get to Glasgow, or will you push on a bit before parking up ? Or will you be using/taking advantage of the extra available hours duty time ? (9 hours rest within the 30, rather than the 24)

I have a fuzzy question running around in my head about the definition of “multi-manning” and the second man’s presence being compulsory after the first hour.

(Ah - Just seen the bit about you sticking to 15 hours, so maybe that answers my fuzzy head question)

dambuster:
Just to be (almost) as pedantic …

Will you be taking a daily rest when you get to Glasgow, or will you push on a bit before parking up ? Or will you be using/taking advantage of the extra available hours duty time ? (9 hours rest within the 30, rather than the 24)

They don’t have that option as they cannot run to multi-manning rules. They will only be able to run to 15 hours.

dambuster:
I have a fuzzy question running around in my head about the definition of “multi-manning” and the second man’s presence being compulsory after the first hour.

That is correct. At the last rule change in April 2007 the requirement for the second driver to be present for the entire journey was amended so they have to be present for all but the first hour. In this case they will both be present from the start of the journey but will not be together for the entire shift so multi-manning rules are not possible.