Double manning

Hi,
Double manning is relatively new to me, so I have this question…

If I’m double manning on a trip to scotland and, say its a 12 hour drive to get there (between the 2 of us), we then have a 9 hour rest period, as I understand it is that we only have 9 hours duty left of the 30 hour shift to do a 12 hour drive home?

I must be misunderstanding something?, do we need to have an 11 hour rest instead of a 9 hour? and does an 11 hour rest ‘reset’ the clock?

Hope you understand what I mean :confused:

Cheers

Check the exact facts but I’m sure you have 10 hrs driving EACH out of a 21 hr spread over
You can cover a lot of ground in 20 hours !
Enjoy your trip ,
Jim

JFC999:
Check the exact facts but I’m sure you have 10 hrs driving EACH out of a 21 hr spread over
You can cover a lot of ground in 20 hours !
Enjoy your trip ,
Jim

Cheers, but a total of approx 24 hours driving for the round trip leaves only 6 hours ‘rest’ which won’t comply with the 30 hour DM rule…or am I missing something?

After you have 9 hours rest you are starting a new shift so have another 21 hours working time available.

Snowgo:
After you have 9 hours rest you are starting a new shift so have another 21 hours working time available.

Ah, that explains my query.
Cheers

Nine hours continuous rest to be completed within 30 hours from when you start the shift which leaves 21 hours of duty time. You are exempt from the rest period being completed in the 24-hour period under multi-manned rules.

If you both still have extended driving periods available you could drive for 20 of those 21 hours, one driver can be taking their break in the passenger seat while the other drives. The tacho will record it as POA but under multi-manning operations the first 45 minutes of POA for the card in slot 2 is counted as break.

As soon as you take a 9 hours daily rest period the whole thing resets as it does under single manned operation and you have another 21 hours duty time available. So you could do-

21 hours shift

9 hours rest

21 hour shift

And keep repeating this until you required a weekly rest.

The 9 hour daily rest under multi manning rules does not count as a reduced daily rest so you can do this more than 3 times between weekly rest periods while operating under multi-manning regulations. Or, if you did a couple of 9 hour daily rests while multi manning at the start of your week then went to single manned operation you would still have 3 reduced daily rests available to use.

Thanks for the clarification everyone :slight_smile:

being nosey where you starting
and going to

But you can only do 2 10hr drives the same as single manned rules in each fixed week