Containers?

Well it looks like i,m going to be doing a lot of cantainer work soon, out of Immingham docks, our usual work of store deliveries is being taken off us.

So has anyone got any tips for me?.

I have already been on a one night training mission been shown roughly how to shorten and lengthen trailers and to stay well away from the toploaders and about doing them clip things on the corners. (HOW THE HELL do they keep 22 ton of metal box on there■■?).

I have been told its quite easy to tip them over too especially on roundabouts and camber,s due to the 2 chassis,s and the 5th wheel and the load doing a whole lot of moving about.

So is there anything else i need to know?, personally the old sphincter has been twitchin a bit at the thought of it, but hey a jobs a job i suppose.

I will only ever be going to Immingham and will ALWAYS have the box and pin number,s.

keep a good book with u m8. plenty of sitting about.
one thing which was usefull to me was a lenth of scaffold pipe approx 3ft, as container doors are more often than not very stiff and hard to open/close.
watch your weight as you wont be doing much apart from driving/dossing. lol. think i put a stone on in no time at all. and get used to long waits at immingham especially late afternoon,(unless its got better)… most of all ENJOY :wink:

jammymutt:
Well it looks like i,m going to be doing a lot of cantainer work soon, out of Immingham docks, our usual work of store deliveries is being taken off us.

So has anyone got any tips for me?.

I have already been on a one night training mission been shown roughly how to shorten and lengthen trailers and to stay well away from the toploaders and about doing them clip things on the corners. (HOW THE HELL do they keep 22 ton of metal box on there■■?).

I have been told its quite easy to tip them over too especially on roundabouts and camber,s due to the 2 chassis,s and the 5th wheel and the load doing a whole lot of moving about.

So is there anything else i need to know?, personally the old sphincter has been twitchin a bit at the thought of it, but hey a jobs a job i suppose.

I will only ever be going to Immingham and will ALWAYS have the box and pin number,s.

You shouldnt be able to tip one unless they have been oh so stupid and put alot of weight at the top of the container. The only place to be carefull (take it easy) is on the exit road to the A180 from the A160.

Oh yep those clips, they dont hold the container to the trailer, they hold the trailer to the container :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

ralliesport:
You shouldnt be able to tip one unless they have been oh so stupid and put alot of weight at the top of the container. The only place to be carefull (take it easy) is on the exit road to the A180 from the A160.

I’m not a truck driver yet but advice I’ve heard my dad give many times is never travel with a loaded 20ft container with your trailer shortened if possible, they’re the worse for being unstable. As for containers being secured with those clip things. I wonder if anyone has any idea how many are lost over the side of a ship in rough weather? A Chinese container ship arrived in Felixtowe the other week, missing 27 containers that perished in the Bay of Biscay in Force 11 gales. Whats even worse is when you’re on a ship and have to stand bloody lookout for containers in the sea that are sometimes almost impossible to see as they tend to float slightly below the surface and if you hit them, you could be in serious trouble and be needing that horrible grimey lifeboat astern that never seems to get any maintainence!

You need Hi-viz, safety boots AND a hard hat whilst on the docks or they won’t load you.

Also the exit slip road from the A160 to A180 is closed for the next 6 weeks for resurfacing.

And as ohterry says the queues to get on can be horrendous.

I don’t know the lay out of Immingham but if it is anything like Tilbury then stand where the dude with the crane can see you because they get very excited if they can’t and some of those hand signals aren’t for the faint hearted. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coming out of Immingham on the A160 onto the A180, my maximum speed is 30mph, thats the absolute max, often I am slower.
There are too many rollovers on that junction for my liking.
The A180 is going to be resurfaced next year with Tarmac, at long bloody last.

Dratsabasti:
Coming out of Immingham on the A160 onto the A180, my maximum speed is 30mph, thats the absolute max, often I am slower.
There are too many rollovers on that junction for my liking.
The A180 is going to be resurfaced next year with Tarmac, at long bloody last.

Yeah its a bad 'un. I’m hoping they take the camber off as well whilst resurfacing.