Container into Immingham

Guys.

I’ve just found out that I’m running an empty container into Immingham docks in the morning then bringing a full one out.

I’ve never run boxes before but I do understand the twist locks. Is there anything I need to have a heads up on for moving them and/or loading at Immingham?

Gloria.

Make sure the doors are at the back.
May sound obvious but some drivers have lined up trailer the wrong way and loader has just put box on without telling the driver. :unamused:
Bit embarrassing when you get to delivery and doors can’t be opened !!! :open_mouth:

Just check your locating pins are set at the right length for the box you are collecting

Make sure you have a gate pass!

And a booking/shipping reference if its going on a boat.

Is it going to riverside? If so the guys on the gate house are miserable ■■■■■

Assuming its DFDS Tor Line (DOCKSIDE) @ Immingham rather than Cobelfret @ North Killingholme then its so easy its hard to screw it up.

Come off at the A160 and past Ulceby Truckstop, over the first island thru the set of traffic lights and second exit of the roundabout. Under the railway bridge and follow your nose. Go past the security gate and then third exit of the little roundabout. This will then take you up and over the railway line. Drop down the bridge and then third exit at the next round about. Follow your nose along the road (signed as 30mph with speed camera). The dock gates will then appear on your left handside.
Drive up to the barrier and hop out, they will then ask if its loaded etc etc. Give the bloke/woman the box number and release for the box out and then back in your cab.
Drive forward then turn left, take your second left (lane 2) which is the lane for having a loaded box off. Whilst your queuing hop and and do your twist locks and container lock (if you have one on). Wait for the heavy lifter to come round and drive forward until he beeps. Have a quick over to your left and see if there is another truck waiting…(this will come in useful)
When he has lifted it drive off that lane by turning right at the top. You will then notice an ‘exit lane’ and three loading bays. If there wasnt anybody waiting and theres space then go straight on to it, if there isnt space and somebody is waiting then go down the exit lane, turn right, turn right and then turn right back into lane 1 sit and wait until space becomes available. Heavy lifter will put your box on, have a quick check to make sure its sitting on your twist locks and give them a thumbs up. Walk round check the condition of it and do the twist locks and then drive on…drive.

If there is damage then report it at the outgatre where you will also have to re-tell them the release number. Depending on which shipping line your on for then enquire as to weather theres any paper work at the outgate

I know thats a lot of information but thought it best to cover everything as a kind of idiot (not that im implying that) guide.
It really is such a great dock where you can have a proper laugh and they have their heads screwed on properly. If they feel the box is front heavy etc then they will normally tell you.

There isnt any need for rhides card or anything like that.

Boxes are quite simply, just remember that you havent seen it loaded and therefore drive according to that and you should be fine. Treat each box on its individual merits and you’ll be ok

Scott M:
Is it going to riverside? If so the guys on the gate house are miserable [zb]

Unless its changed then they havent got a heavy lift up on riverside but on dockside they have!! But after collecting a trailer out of Riverside then can totally understand where your coming from! :imp: :imp:

the lads at exxor at immingham are ok just ask and they will put you right.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not overly worried as I’m more than happy to admit I ain’t got a clue and ask.

One last thing, what height will the container be when loaded on the truck? I drive a CF. I’m going into Morphy Richards at Mexborough and I know there are low bridges near by.

If it’s on a skelly 13,6 dry van 14,6 high cube :smiley:

n17 trucker:
If it’s on a skelly 13,6 dry van 14,6 high cube :smiley:

Cheers or that.

I hadn’t done boxes until just before Christmas, and all I did was explain everywhere I went that I was new to boxes, and everyone was helpful. Even Immingham.

Ken.

Quinny:
I hadn’t done boxes until just before Christmas, and all I did was explain everywhere I went that I was new to boxes, and everyone was helpful. Even Immingham.

Ken.

I haven’t been in for a few years but the lads on the gate and the toplifters were helpful, although having to go into Exxtor offices to get paperwork was a pain. Tor Line was much more simple.

Well it turns out that it was Exxtor that i was dealing with at Immingham. I picked up a skellie trailer and 40ft high cube that was empty at Morphy Richards in Mexborough and run over to the docks. When I got there I explained that I didnt have a clue what I was doing and I found everyone I spoke to very helpfull. The empty box was lifted off with a FLT type thing and then I had to go under the crane to have a 20ft loaded box put on. Back over to Mexborough where I dropped the trailer and picked up another skellie with another empty 40ft high cube and did the trip all over again.

Overall, no problems really. First go at boxes and it went as well as i could have I guess. Thanks for the great advise as always and I’m sure I’ll be asking for more soon enough.