Container skellys

Working for a company that seems to keep skellys at position 4 for loading 45s. I always thought skelly should be in position 3 for 45s?

Any problem with leaving it at pos 4? Looking at a lot of other wagons on the road, most people carry 45s at 4?

Cheers

Timoh2010:
Working for a company that seems to keep skellys at position 4 for loading 45s. I always thought skelly should be in position 3 for 45s?

Any problem with leaving it at pos 4? Looking at a lot of other wagons on the road, most people carry 45s at 4?

Cheers

pretty sure it’s to do with the overhang ,refused to take one out on the road once as it was also positioned on 40’ twistlocks, manager wasn’t to happy. but hey ho i wouldn’t of been happy if mr vosa had prised money out of my wallet

You see it a lot, same for the rear bumper not being extended out.

Some makes of trailer differ, but with a standard sliding skel it should be set up so the 45’ box sits on the very front twistlocks. Usually the same position as for a 20’ box. Rear bumper also extended out.

Admission time. My last driving job was for a short sea container line and we pulled a lot of 45s. It is, however, a complete pain in the arse to slide 6 inches to do so. The simple solution? Pull 40fts on the front pins as well, problem solved. :wink:

It’s 20fts you need to be careful with, particularly heavy ones. At the same company we ended up with nearly a whole fleet of trailers that wouldn’t slide smoothly after we lazy buggers finished abusing them. Suffice to say when they went over to lease they got VERY fussy about us sliding to the correct pin (which varies from make to make, so check) with anything 20ft and over about 15t. :blush:

The bumper bar thing is a strange one. It’s not actually a legal requirement to use one with a 45 as the container itself is considered to be a load and the overhang is legal…but…about, ohhhh, must be 10 years ago now a transit minibus (iirc) ran up the arse of a certain slightly…dubious London container haulier carrying a 45 round the M25 but with the bumper bar in, writing off the occupants when half the roof went under as well. There was then a big hoo-ha about them and it was generally agreed it was probably wise to pull the thing out rather than face a manslaughter charge. This was fine until too many ended up bent and impossible to move thanks to various RDC shunters at changeover jobs who hoiked the front ends up too high and bent them beyond being moveable, at which point we all said “bollox to that” and went back to leaving well alone…Fast forward to the refleet mentioned above and suddenly we once again had strict rules and strict instructions to push the bar in when dropping trailers. :laughing:

Onwards, as our Luke would say - I left that place two years ago now so god knows what the latest advice is! :grimacing:

Lucy:
Admission time. My last driving job was for a short sea container line and we pulled a lot of 45s. It is, however, a complete pain in the arse to slide 6 inches to do so. The simple solution? Pull 40fts on the front pins as well, problem solved. :wink:

It’s 20fts you need to be careful with, particularly heavy ones. At the same company we ended up with nearly a whole fleet of trailers that wouldn’t slide smoothly after we lazy buggers finished abusing them. Suffice to say when they went over to lease they got VERY fussy about us sliding to the correct pin (which varies from make to make, so check) with anything 20ft and over about 15t. :blush:

The bumper bar thing is a strange one. It’s not actually a legal requirement to use one with a 45 as the container itself is considered to be a load and the overhang is legal…but…about, ohhhh, must be 10 years ago now a transit minibus (iirc) ran up the arse of a certain slightly…dubious London container haulier carrying a 45 round the M25 but with the bumper bar in, writing off the occupants when half the roof went under as well. There was then a big hoo-ha about them and it was generally agreed it was probably wise to pull the thing out rather than face a manslaughter charge. This was fine until too many ended up bent and impossible to move thanks to various RDC shunters at changeover jobs who hoiked the front ends up too high and bent them beyond being moveable, at which point we all said “bollox to that” and went back to leaving well alone…Fast forward to the refleet mentioned above and suddenly we once again had strict rules and strict instructions to push the bar in when dropping trailers. :laughing:

Onwards, as our Luke would say - I left that place two years ago now so god knows what the latest advice is! :grimacing:

The drivers on that TRANSport company had their excuses down to a Tee due to the amount of brushes with the law :wink:

That’s untill they sieze solid and you can’t slide them

I’ve asked vosa about this very subject when on containers, they don’t have a problem which pins a 40’ or 45’ box is on as long as axle weights are correct, so maybe it is down to the unit pulling the trailer, they are well under on 3 axles maybe not so on 2 axles if they are on the “wrong” pins.
Company policy may dictate where they have to be.

OVLOV JAY:
The drivers on that TRANSport company had their excuses down to a Tee due to the amount of brushes with the law :wink:

They did indeed. :grimacing: