Just started on containers. Need a hand

As the topic states, just started on containers.

Standard 125mm fifth wheel and sliding skelli.

Need heights for running standard / hi cube boxes so i don’t rattle any bridges.

Been told to just run with pins at 45ft pinlock in chassis for all boxes but spoke to driver today and he reckoned 20ft Super Heavy’s are more stable running at 30ft pinlock in chassis.

When openening/closing skelli, do you leave the pin button pushed in during sliding to next available point or slide it a bit then pull the button out then slide it until it finds next point? does it auto-lock?

Not done this before so not wanting to to look a complete clown ;;

Thanks for any help.

Heavy 20fts are more stable at the 30ft position, whoever told you to put it at the 45 lock should come look at the bend in the trailer. Also, and you prob know this, don’t drive with a 20ft loaded box with the trailer closed up, not even a little bit.

When moving the slider I used to get close to where I wanted it and push the button, then move back or forward to let the pins click in. Right or wrong I don’t know but that’s how I did it.

I’d be interested to know too - never done container stuff…

**Edit - beat me to it…

You will not look like a clown. You have asked for help on how to operate the skelly and there is nothing wrong with that.
It is best to ask or cause some damage or have an accident.
It took me a while to get confident with moving boxes on skellies.

Hi cubes on a standard 5th wheel height are 14ft 6in.

Regarding sliding skelleys, I push the button move slightly in the appropriate direction and then pull it and continue till it clocks in place, making sure the parking brake on the trailer is engaged of course :wink:

As far as 20th container pin positions are concerned, I’m fairly new myself, so I stick to the trailer pictogram to govern the correct setting. I wonder where you’d stand for insurance if you disregarded the guidelines and rolled one over?

Heights are 13’6" for a dry van “standard 8’6” inch box and 14’6" for a high cube, they are 9’6", slightly less than 13’6" for a 20’ on the 20’ pins, never heard of putting a loaded 20’ in the 30’ position before!!
Once you’ve slid the trailer close to the hole you want push the button back back up or pull forward in and the pins will find the hole required.

They usually have positions for 13.6 meters, 45ft 30ft and loaded 20ft.
I always found loaded 20s nicer to pull in the 30ft position.
Just as a note as well, a 45 ft box will fit on either the 13.6 or the 45ft position, 2 20fts will only fit on fully extended.

kitbuilder123:
Just as a note as well, a 45 ft box will fit on either the 13.6 or the 45ft position, 2 20fts will only fit on fully extended.

And a 40’ will go on the 45’ pins as well.

Tend to set trailer up in correct position for each size box myself, only takes a couple of minutes so why not.
Rest has been covered above :slight_smile:

bazstan009:
Tend to set trailer up in correct position for each size box myself, only takes a couple of minutes so why not.
Rest has been covered above :slight_smile:

Saves messin about after dropping a loaded 20’ then picking up a 40’ in the rain.

Hmmm, have to rest pins anyway.

weeto:

kitbuilder123:

And a 40’ will go on the 45’ pins as well.

I got caught a couple of times when I started out, the lads used to load the 45’s using the very front and back locks to get the box closer to the unit. But when getting 2 20s back, they wouldn’t fit meaning I’d have to lengthen the trailer while the nice pleasant loader driver waited with my box. And we all know how nice and pleasant they can be.

To the op, if the trailer has a picture of the loading positions, I’d go with that.
The position for a loaded 20 will be shorter than 45. It’s easy to overload the drive axle of the unit due to the axles of the skelly being to far back under the load at the 45 position.
But using the 30ft position takes more weight off the drive axle. It was a personal preference for me, I wouldn’t be at all sure of how right I was to do it, it just worked for me.

kitbuilder123:
Heavy 20fts are more stable at the 30ft position, whoever told you to put it at the 45 lock should come look at the bend in the trailer. Also, and you prob know this, don’t drive with a 20ft loaded box with the trailer closed up, not even a little bit.

When moving the slider I used to get close to where I wanted it and push the button, then move back or forward to let the pins click in. Right or wrong I don’t know but that’s how I did it.

The 45’ and 20’ loaded pins were the same on every sliding skelly I ever used.

Usually 40’ is the most forward of the pins, 45’ and 20’ loaded are the next ones, usually about 1’ (max) further back, 30’ further back - approx half way between the 45’/20’ and the 20’ tipping position (fully closed)

To use 45’ boxes, you’d normally set it to the 2nd hole, then put the front twist locks up, and the normal ones down (2nd ones from the front), you’d also pull the suzi neck out and the under-run bar out, and make sure the 5th wheel is as far back as possible to avoid hitting the rear of the cab.

If you drive a Scania, remember that with the lift axle up, you are normally approx 3" higher than ‘standard’, also, if you pick up a reefer, check the height written on it, I once had 1 that I thought was 9’6 but it was actually 10’ 6", but I only found this out whilst sitting around at the customers (Fowler Welch’s old yard on Bird Hall Lane) premises :open_mouth: . I’ve only ever seen one of these and it was a reefer, but they do come in dry boxes too, they’re called Super High Cube.

Rag tops worth looking out for in case top has a bulge, the use them to crane stuff into and out of.
Southampton terminal gives option to view top of box via camera, worth a look for debrie :slight_smile:

thank you very much to all of you drivers. cleared a few thing up for me. didn’t want to damage anything and when at the docks, no one got time when the lanes are busy and moving along quickly.

also its not very often but you can get 20ft high cubes i have only ever seen 3 maybe 4 myself but they are out there

bbez:
As the topic states, just started on containers.
Standard 125mm fifth wheel and sliding skelli.

125mm, that’s rather low, is it the new Matchbox model?
Paul

:slight_smile:

bbez:
thank you very much to all of you drivers. cleared a few thing up for me. didn’t want to damage anything and when at the docks, no one got time when the lanes are busy and moving along quickly.

Trust me mate, if you’re struggling, just stop and ask someone, most will help you, 1 will jump in front of you in the queue - hourly paid?? :grimacing:

Trust me you dont want to be running loaded 20ft boxes in the 30ft pin holes.

The 30ft pin holes are for 30ft boxes.

For 40ft boxes you want the pins in the holes closest to the cab (fully stretched)

20ft boxes want to be in the next holes along (only about 6 inches from the 40ft holes)

As mentioned, dont try and drive forward any distance with a loaded 20ft squashed down. 12 years ago, turned up to a Morrisons RDC with a 20ft in a 143. I was 5 mins late due traffic early am. Let me in.

Pins wouldn’t budge to squash the trailer. Phoned manager. He was yelling at me to give it plenty of revs. I did point out the clutch would blow or glaze over at some point but he started yelling at me to do it. I said if I do it, it’s your truck bare in mind. It went, with a bang. The Skele slid back. Then the loaders said they wanted me off as I was now 10 mins over. What a bunch of plums. They had just watched me go through all of this. I pointed out It would be unlikely I would be able to move it as it hadnt been unloaded. Made worse by the ramp on the bays. Well, I tried but it just wheel span. Made a lot worse by the fact the rear off side tyre had popped on the trailer. Took a tow off a shunter to get it extended.