Reason for shortening skelly trl for 45ft box

hello

stupid question but i simply dont know the answer
can anyone please tell me whats the reason to shorten a skelly trailer to position 3 for 45ft container.
the distance between wholes 3 and 4 is exactly the same as the distance between two pins on the front of the trailer.
does it have to do anything with weight distribution?
thanks in advance.

regards
simon

Havnt had one of those for ages, but i would imagine its so the extra lump on each end, wont foul the back of the cab. but someone will be along in a mo, to give us a rundown exactly.

Shift the weight forward a bit, lots don’t bother though.

newbie_trucker:
hello

stupid question but i simply dont know the answer
can anyone please tell me whats the reason to shorten a skelly trailer to position 3 for 45ft container.
the distance between wholes 3 and 4 is exactly the same as the distance between two pins on the front of the trailer.
does it have to do anything with weight distribution?
thanks in advance.

regards
simon

We leave Skeles extended full for 40 & 45s here, run light 20s on that hole too…

I believe it’s for axel weights though as you mention

It’s not weights, it brings the back twist locks forward so when it gets put on, the slots line up with the forward pins at the front of the trailer instead of the back ones which are used for 40s. It’s like that because it moves the back of the trailer forwards by 151mm and brings it within legal limits. :slight_smile:

It’s certainly to do with weights when a 20ft or 30ft is involved. Different pins could mean 5ton weight difference.

DJC:
It’s not weights, it brings the back twist locks forward so when it gets put on, the slots line up with the forward pins at the front of the trailer instead of the back ones which are used for 40s. It’s like that because it moves the back of the trailer forwards by 151mm and brings it within legal limits. :slight_smile:

^^ THIS!!

It’s about over-all vehicle length I believe - most likely based on the largest commercially available tractor unit or something and probably based before the new rules since most trailers are now 45’ long.

I used to hate picking 45’ ers up, always worried that if my 5th wheel was too far forward it was going to ■■■■ the cab and cause major damage, if not when loading it, then maybe on a corner…

waynedl:

DJC:

^^ THIS!!

It’s about over-all vehicle length I believe - most likely based on the largest commercially available tractor unit or something and probably based before the new rules since most trailers are now 45’ long.

I used to hate picking 45’ ers up, always worried that if my 5th wheel was too far forward it was going to [zb] the cab and cause major damage, if not when loading it, then maybe on a corner…

Tauts/DD’s sit closer to bulkhead than a 45 from what I’ve experienced. Also who sets 5th wheel forward? Haven’t came across them set anything except max to the rear

As hinted at already, It’s to keep the rear of the box within the max distance from the 5th wheel under current regs.

:
As hinted at already, It’s to keep the rear of the box within the max distance from the 5th wheel under current regs.

Can’t see it being that since the container is the load, it wouldn’t be measured.
Also not all sliders have a 45’ hole.

weeto:

:

Can’t see it being that since the container is the load, it wouldn’t be measured.
Also not all sliders have a 45’ hole.

I’m certain it’s for weight. It’s only 6inch further forward in the front pins but its better having it shifted forward 6inches then that extra 6inches hanging off the back adding to the 2.5ft overhang already there.

Cant be anything todo with length because there’s bonneted scanias and longlines etc on containers so therefore there over length all the time

It’s not overall length, it’s king pin to rear length.

Called dennison to confirm this one way or the other, the man that knows is on holiday! :angry:

Sorry to rain on the “it’s to do with the overall length” parade. It’s not. It’s to distribute the weight correctly between the fifth wheel and the trailer axles. If you need to adjust the overall length for whatever reason (legal limits, container snagging on air lines/spoilers) you should only do that by sliding the fifth wheel (as those who are regulars on 45’s will already know).

Moving the trailer axles to the 45’ position moves the tri-axles slightly forward (about 6") under the skeli. The reason it puts the triaxles forward a few inches is as follows:-

The nearer the trailer axles are to the load’s centre of gravity, the bigger share of the load they will take. Conversely, the further they are away from the load’s centre of gravity the more the fifth wheel will consequently need to take. Assuming the 45’ container is loaded evenly, almost all the weight in the extra 2.5’ at the front would be taken up by the fifth wheel alone (and possibly put you over your tractor unit axle weight limit) if the trailer axles weren’t moved forward slightly.

Said weight from the start but what does a young buck like me know eh! Hahaha

sonofjamie:
Sorry to rain on the “it’s to do with the overall length” parade. It’s not. It’s to distribute the weight correctly between the fifth wheel and the trailer axles. If you need to adjust the overall length for whatever reason (legal limits, container snagging on air lines/spoilers) you should only do that by sliding the fifth wheel (as those who are regulars on 45’s will already know).

Moving the trailer axles to the 45’ position moves the tri-axles slightly forward (about 6") under the skeli. The reason it puts the triaxles forward a few inches is as follows:-

The nearer the trailer axles are to the load’s centre of gravity, the bigger share of the load they will take. Conversely, the further they are away from the load’s centre of gravity the more the fifth wheel will consequently need to take. Assuming the 45’ container is loaded evenly, almost all the weight in the extra 2.5’ at the front would be taken up by the fifth wheel alone (and possibly put you over your tractor unit axle weight limit) if the trailer axles weren’t moved forward slightly.

■■■■ phone… posted the quote on it’s own.

How do you figure? Is there a source available? I ask since we have notices all over the driver reception about the trailer length being an issue on 45s, I’ll get a picture later if I can

DJC:
How do you figure? Is there a source available? I ask since we have notices all over the driver reception about the trailer length being an issue on 45s, I’ll get a picture later if I can

All the trailer manufacturers websites talk about weight distribution as one of the main advantages of their multi-setup sliding skeli’s. I couldn’t find one that suggested you would be running over the legal length limit if you didn’t use any particular setup.

With a max. overall length of 54’ it would mean that the front of the cab would have to be more than 9’ from the front of the container. So maybe a measuring tape could be handy the next time you pick up a 45.

sonofjahttp://www.transportsfriend.org/road/dims.htmlie:

DJC:

All the trailer manufacturers websites talk about weight distribution as one of the main advantages of their multi-setup sliding skeli’s. I couldn’t find one that suggested you would be running over the legal length limit if you didn’t use any particular setup.

With a max. overall length of 54’ it would mean that the front of the cab would have to be more than 9’ from the front of the container. So maybe a measuring tape could be handy the next time you pick up a 45.

The length we were referring to was the kingpin to the back of the trailer, guessing it would be something like 40ft with a 45 and probably around 37.5 with a 40 on. I can’t find the actual legal limit anywhere so measuring isn’t an option. It’s certainly got me thinking now

EDIT: Found it on transports friend, kingpin to rear is 12m (39.3ft) so from my guesswork it’s pretty ■■■■ close

DJC:
EDIT: Found it on transports friend, kingpin to rear is 12m (39.3ft) so from my guesswork it’s pretty ■■■■ close

The length regs are pretty insane. It also says that the max. allowable distance forward of the kingpin is 1.6m. If you add these two together you get 13.6m = 44.6’. Therefore it’s illegal to have a load longer than 44.6’, therefore it’s illegal to carry a 45’ full stop!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: = :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So you better swap that measuring tape for a magnifying glass and a micrometer!! It would appear that unless you can position the front of a 45 footer exactly 1.6m ahead of the kingpin and the back-end exactly 12m to the rear of the kingpin you’re probably running illegal!!! Totally NUTS!!!

Think you are mixing up trailer and load dimensions.