confused

maybe this thread will get me banned or am i thinking what others are thinking or am i just sulking :cry: or am i a rascist? Today had an assesment drive for 1 of the big supermarkets, i passed the drink & drugs test, then sat an waited for the assessor, meanwhile listening to the gripes of the other drivers agency & employed, they were upset and i can see their point, anyway the drive went ok a bit nervous the close coupled trailer did nearly catch me out it turns very quick from the last one i drove not close coupled, anyway along with this an the 53 plate volvo, very nice , then put it in this bay ok 1 shunt , then against the loading door, 1st attempt cut the corner no good if other trucks were there! 2nd & 3rd attempt needed to shunt a few times but did it, anyway back to the point, out of 4 of us the foreign guy never turned up after passing the drug & drink test, 1 failed i needed a referal? coz of the reversing, and 1 pass, upon leaving the security guy asked what happened i told him he said, i shouldve spoke polish, then it clicked my assesment was cancelled last week i was told due to illness but the assessor told me they had been training 40 polish drivers, maybe they are cheaper than the agency, or maybe this is a tabboo subject an i will be called a racist, still just saying what i found out an what happened an what atmosphere i felt. if you dont here from me you know i have got the boot from this board,

Hi donpablo I think the title of your post says it all. I was confused after I had read it. You didn’t get that one accross very clearly but I get the jist of what your saying. Well done on your assessment btw.

I wouldn’t say your racist mate but I would have to say that its upto the company how they choose to run their recruitment side of things. It sounds to me like there are a lot of whingers there sticking their noses into things that don’t concern them. Before I became a driver I worked in a traffic office and the amount of drivers that moaned was unbelievable even though I know for a fact they had never had it soooooo goooood! It seems to me that people like this aren’t happy with what they are served and are always looking on someone elses plate to see if they have got something better.

I know the isn’t a direct connection with what I have written above but its them kind of people that I’m talking about… they like to stir things up so what I’m saying is I wouldn’t take much notice of them and what they say.

Good luck with your job hunting :wink:

You answered your own question in a way.

Why are managment keen to hire 40 odd polish drivers ?

Because in my experience they dont stand around whinging and claiming to be the hardest workers on the planet.

They might crash the wagon lol :laughing:
But they will just be fired and another driver will take his place.

I am like you i have to compete with these foreign drivers.
But i prefer to be in a canteen with 5 polish drivers than
5 whinging drivers. :laughing:

if this months T & D is anything to go by, not many of us want them over here. they arent rated very highly on the skilled front. from a personal point of view, i wouldnt lose any sleep if they all packed up and went elsewhere

i have just finished working for a large company that runs its own distrobution business. All of the warehouse workers bar 2 where polish. All of the drivers where brittish.

The drivers where happy, why?

Because when they got to their wagons every morning they where ready to go. All loaded properly, paperwork done and sorted.

Same for the evening shift and the night shift. Basically if a wagon wasnt loaded it was because the driver was late.

Where am i going with this? Well, the polish are willing to work without â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  and complining, this makes everything tick the way it should do.

It wont be long before the brittish mentality sinks in and they start demanding more wages etc…

But look at it this way, I would rather be working along side 50 tax paying Pols that are willing to work, than supporting them as they languish on the dole sucking up money.

talisman:
i have just finished working for a large company that runs its own distrobution business. All of the warehouse workers bar 2 where polish. All of the drivers where brittish.

The drivers where happy, why?

Because when they got to their wagons every morning they where ready to go. All loaded properly, paperwork done and sorted.

Same for the evening shift and the night shift. Basically if a wagon wasnt loaded it was because the driver was late.

Where am i going with this? Well, the polish are willing to work without â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  and complining, this makes everything tick the way it should do.

It wont be long before the brittish mentality sinks in and they start demanding more wages etc…

But look at it this way, I would rather be working along side 50 tax paying Pols that are willing to work, than supporting them as they languish on the dole sucking up money.

I have to agree. A company I know in London employs a lot of Poles and swears by them. They are paid exactly the same as everyone else, yet turn up on time, in full uniform and ready to work, unlike a lot of the other english employees.

They work harder than the English and do it with a smile on their face. No â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  about what they are NOT getting, like a lot of the other employees.

The manager up their reacons they are like the brits of 20 years ago. They want to do the job well, learn to do it better and are actually concerned about keeping it. Its strange how much society can change in a short period of time.

Don’t get me wrong, there are good and bad Polish employees, but too many people think that because they are from what was Eastern Europe, all they are, are trouble :exclamation:

We don’t have many Eastern European working for us in the office (office holds over 300 people) but those that are here are hard workers indeed. I am for one think they are a godsend to this country

I am hard working dont moan unless its absolutly necessary but i certainly wouldnt be happy if they were being employed or if they took my job simply to save a company money.
I have no problems them coming here and working so long as it doesnt mean the loss of my job or them earning less to do the same work and that they can actually do the job.
I did read the t&d but its not really reflective it was a very small sample of people i think.

catclan:
I did read the t&d but its not really reflective it was a very small sample of people i think.

while i do accept your point, when this subject comes up in general conversation, what reaction do you tend to get then? i know the people i have spoken to have pretty much the same opinions as the T & D guys
the point i am making is that when you take that article and add the opinions of…20, 30…whatever figure you come up with and the majority is still saying the same thing, it builds a bigger picture than 4 drivers being interviewed

catclan:

The funniest bit from the T&D article was the guy complaining that the ‘foreigners’ don’t speak English so it was a safety issue. this while he is on a ferry which means he does Euro work, wonder how many of the languages he speaks for the various countries he will pass through? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: