Completed First Agency Interview

Having Passed my Class 1 in May at the age of 43 I have just completed my first agency interview. Lots of WTD, tacho and hours questions but it went ok. Only snag is no experience (only 6 months) and you need two years before most companies will accept you! is it worth trying another route to getting a shot at driving?

can you not bluff and say you have two years experience

Hi No as they looked at and photocopied my Licence! Only passed C and C+E in May this year!

where ever you get sent to do class 2 work, let them know you also have class 1, if you do a good job on class 2 work they may be stuck 1 day and ask you to jump in an artic.

i passed my class 1 last november and was doing class 2 work for an agency for TDG and i pestered them every week to get me on class 1, then last february they relented and i have been doing it ever since for them. you just gotta be in the right place at the right time

Will registering with a few agencies end up with no work as they seem to demand loyalty? After todays interview I am left with the impression to be ready 24/7 incase they call!

dean68uk:
Will registering with a few agencies end up with no work as they seem to demand loyalty? After todays interview I am left with the impression to be ready 24/7 incase they call!

the thing with agencies mate, is they will promise you the earth but deliver very little. register with a few agencies and whoever offers you work 1st, take it. they might demand loyalty but they will show you little loyalty, so dont worry too much about turning down work from 1 agency if another has already booked you. at 1st they might offer you 7.5t work, its upto you if you want to take it, but its a good way to show them you can do a good days work and are willing to be flexible, most agencies have their long term staff who they will look after, its just a case of proving yourself.

and yes, you can expect a call at any time of the day or night, if you take a shift at short notice, you will be doing them a favour as someone needs a driver asap, that will keep you in their good books.

where are you basedâ– â– ?

Hi thanks for the info I am based in Portsmouth.

dean68uk:
Hi thanks for the info I am based in Portsmouth.

cant help you out with anything down there mate, was seeing if you were near me and could have told you a few agencies you could have tried.

i am currently with blue arrow(agency), are they in portsmouth?? also 24/7 recruitment, they have a few offices around the country. manpower driving should defo have a office near you.

you will get sick of getting knock backs but dont let it get you down and stick at it, something will come up, like i said before, just gotta be in the right place at the right time

Thanks for the info. I have looked at the Manpower site and registered. Thanks.