Coming from the States and wanting to Drive in the UK

Hi, All. So I have a Dilemma. There seems to be no easy way to get into Truck driving in the UK. Im currently a driver in the states. My Fiance is from the UK and wants to move back. Maybe Im spoiled because we have it so easy over here. Most companies here have there own schools and are certified with the state so getting a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) Is a Cinch. And we only Have 2 classes. A Class A for Semis and Class B for Straight trucks. Then Air Brake Endorsement,Passenger Endorsement,Hazmat,and Tanker, Doubles and Triples.

It seems like in the UK there is alot more to do to get your C+E License.

Im just wondering is there a easier way to go about it? I dont have a problem taking the tests, but from a financial stand point. Any companies over there that will Sponsor you and then hire you on as a Driver once you pass?
Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no easy way into driving in this country

There are quite a lot of drivers here out of work

You will have to pay for yourself through the test then the hard part will begin finding a job & they normally like 2 years experience over 25 for insurance

I hope your fiancee has reasonable job prospects because you don’t unfortunately. I suggest you go to the ex-pats forum. They might be able to offer you more practical advice.

Thanks for your insight.

It will send you mad anyway. Trade in your fiance’ for a new one & live happily ever after ? :smiley:

Hiya…sorry not a cat in hells chance of getting a job. what area is your girl from■■? if you live near a Stobarts depot
you may get fixed up,BUT the firm is so strickt you may be out of work in days, anyway people laugh at you for working
there.the uk is a joke of a place nowadays. book your self a 3 week holiday and have a look what the place is like before
you do anything silly.there,s been a couple of jobs advertised recently £6.20 per hour 50 hours a week. one job was running
from Rippon to Paris 10 hours hard drive (near impossible)£80 per day that was 5 trips every 2 weeks.Joke.
I think a change of woman is on the cards…anyhowe if you try truck driving in the uk you,ll lose her sooner or later.
more people split up when trucking than any other trade.I lost 2 some people have tried 5 or 6 still did,nt work out.
good luck john.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54085

Before you make your mind up read the thread I have linked to, and for a better idea of the poster read all posts made by YANKTRUCKERINUK