Coach Recovery

Had a call one night, to go to a coach on the M6, which had apparently sprung a leak!

This is the coach, an American greyhound, made by a firm called ‘Eagle’, fitted with a bloody huge Detroit V8!

When I got to the vehicle, it was leaking oil and diesel from every possible orrifice. Dipped the oil, and the sump was FULL! right up to the level of the top of the dipstick tube! Decided this wasnt going to be fixed roadside. so out comes the wrecker.

Ended up towing it to Faversham, where it needed to be delivered to the old coach station, which just happened to be right off the main street in Faversham. Due to this, it was delivered at 6AM, after having spent the night on the services on the M2., as this was about the only time I could get in there without there being too many parked cars about…

Once there, the coach had to be backed up the entrance, through the doors, and round a dogleg inside the workshop to avoid a post holding the roof up!

That’s certainly one of the older Eagles (anything made since probably the mid 70’s has the single axle behind the drives). I’m assuming the motor was a 2-stroke 8V71-they used to be very common motors on long-distance busses. They always leak oil.

BTW, why on earth would somebody be advertising Miller beer over there? Even Americans consider it to be swill.

AlexxInNY:
That’s certainly one of the older Eagles (anything made since probably the mid 70’s has the single axle behind the drives). I’m assuming the motor was a 2-stroke 8V71-they used to be very common motors on long-distance busses. They always leak oil.

It was a two stroke of some kind, sounded gorgeous when I heard it running. The registration date shows it to be a 1988/9.
The problem was an injector had collapsed inside the engine, so it was pumping diesel straight into the sump, which had eventually overflowed!

AlexxInNY:
BTW, why on earth would somebody be advertising Miller beer over there? Even Americans consider it to be swill.

Apparently its considered quite a delicacy in some circles!!

Great pictures Simon, thanks.

here’s what they looked like in service, back in the 1970’s: