Channel Islands

Anyone done any driving work on the Channel Islands?
Was wondering if they had any artics on Jersey/Guernsey ,or are the islands too small?

I’ve seen the Condor ferries in and out of Portsmouth stacked out with unaccompanied trailers so they obviously do get artics out there.

Well seeing how the biggest is only about 9 mile by 6 don’t think you’ll have many nights out.

Jersey has got a width limit on it, dont remember how wide now. You will see some of the old Commodore Shipping trailers being pulled in the uk and they are a fair bit narrower than a standard UK tractor unit, I went out there in 2000 in a Sprinter, and when you come through the customs shed there is a width restriction. I think the unaccompanied ones get tipped onto the smaller vehicles in the docks and the trailers sent back. I think it also has a 30 or 40mph speed limit across the whole island. I know cause i was delivering to St. Hellier Police Station and got a rocket off a copper who followed me along the dual carriageway back to the Police Station.

I was on holiday there in 2004,surprised me how busy St. Helier was.
Couldn’t remember seeing any big trucks when I was there.
Great place to go on holiday, it’salso one of the few places I’ve been on holiday to, that I would have liked to have lived and worked in.

We normaly go over there every 6 weeks(B and Q , supermarkets etc ) In St Helier there is Condor Logistics, Channel Express and Heulin Renof all by the dock.

BuzzardBoy:
Jersey has got a width limit on it, dont remember how wide now. You will see some of the old Commodore Shipping trailers being pulled in the uk and they are a fair bit narrower than a standard UK tractor unit,

Used to pull them on ParcelForce, a pig to reverse and get straight because the narrowness throws you when looking in the mirrors!!

Doesn’t Paul Mathew do work over there? I think there is adriver on here who mentioned it

My boss used to take a 20’ artic fuel tanker over there once a week.

Going off track slightly, every time I go past the Condor yard at Portsmouth there is a customs & excise Mobile X ray scanner parked in the same place. what’s the point of it being mobile if it never moves?

The one at Dover is always in the same place too.

The point of it being mobile is that it can be driven away for service, or moved to another site when theirs breaks down.

You could hardly just start blasting X-Rays off in a layby somewhere :laughing:

The channel tunnell have a huge building for theirs, but it was built before mobile ones were availiable. Obviously a truck is a lot cheaper than a building and it can be moved a lot more easily.

That mobile X Ray truck is often seen in Poole so it does move, they probably just park it in the same place to confuse us :stuck_out_tongue:

paul davis freight of bristol take stuff over there years ago when i was working for blue hawk plaster products we,d take all the channel island stuff to his warehouse have commador still got a place in walsall .i see there short trailers every now and again