Jersey - Channel Islands

Can anybody help with the rules & regs for Jersey.

We have a permit to take a truck on the Island - and thats about all I know !

I dont know the exact regs, but the trucks and trailers I have seen going are small single axle 20’

My only foray into that part was loading rasperries in Poland for St Peterport.

I had to clear customs and was issued with a radiation certificate from Chernobyl, then paperwork had to be changed in Dover. I ended up tipping them in Gloucester

Done a bit of digging

I’ve had to get special permission from the ministry. I’m only taking the rigid — leaving the drag at home — 9m x 4m by 2.5m, GVW 12T — breaks the rules on width (max allowed is 2.3m) and I will not be authorised to use parish roads (whatever that means!).

Ferry from Portsmouth is £800 each way !

Island speed limit is 40mph — I expect the limit for HGV’s could be lower

I noticed the Royal Mail are using Condor trailers, these are short single axle boxes, they go out on the St Malo boat and drop off in Jersey enroute,

I think if anything larger is allowed the Royal Mail would use them,

Let us know how you go on, there wont be many international truckers been there :stuck_out_tongue:

I went on a ship around the channel islands, Sark had one vehicle and Alderney had no roads to speak of

When i was working at fowler welch depot( Havant) we used to use 13.6m tri- axles trailer’s !!!( unaccompanied,usally chocolate or fruit and veg out ,and reloaded back with Royal Mail cosignment’s.)

:slight_smile: as mentioned, Jersey has a width and length restriction, so larger vehicles or trailers (i.e. ours going over there from Portsmouth ) can only go off the boat and as far as the dockside in St. Helier. Then the load has to be trans-shipped onto a local vehicle. :wink:

Looks like it’s case of going in blind — should be quite a blast!

Shall we take bets on whether they let the truck out of the docks, or will I hand in a gate pass for me and the mountain bike?

These ones make the job worthwhile — I’ve got the buzz like I’m going on holiday (sad, isn’t it!)!

Sent my brother there once with a 7.5 tonner and trailer full of cane furniture. He had an address just outside the docks and had the rest of the day before the evening boat back planned on the beach.

Then they had him all over the island dropping off one chair here, another table there :laughing: Got back just in time for the ferry.

You bet he wished he had a wider vehicle :laughing:

Salut, David.

The restrictions on my permit:-

1. Vehicle only to travel on specified route
  2. Vehicle to travel between 19:30 and 07:30
  3. Private ■■■■■■ as agreed with DVSD

The roads I used were a bit narrow in places — but I’ve been on worse in Devon / Cornwall / Wales with the drag on (and no sissy ■■■■■■!).

I was supposed to park up at the dock between delivery / collection. The customer found me somewhere to park on their premises — and when I dropped the hint by asking about car hire, they lent me a little Mercedes A Class to run around in! So I did the tourist thing for a day and a half. Stayed in a 3 star hotel for £60 — fantastic view from the balcony. Jersey is only 9 miles long by 5 miles wide, so I I did a few laps but still failed to use the 20 litres of fuel I put in!

The boat is a bit slow — about 8hrs. Outbound was freight and a few car passengers — got a 4 berth cabin to myself. Inbound was freight only. 14 cabins, 7 drivers, and the lazy tart tried to make us share cabins! Toys out of pram time and eventually got a cabin to myself! Proper duty free — 200 cigs for £21.50.

If youre there tomorrow, I will wave at you :smiley: because I am going to St Malo from Portsmouth.

I think sometimes the ferry calls in at St Helier, but the sailing times I have dont leave much time for that.

I gather the Condor boats go to Gurnsey, Jersey and St Malo, but they tend to change the running order to suit the tides. Interesting fact (that I doubt I will ever use again!) is that Jersey “shrinks” by 40% at high tide. They can’t get the RoRo in at low tide — not enough water in the dock.