Change of Career?

I know you will all have seen similar posts to this one before so forgive me if this seems like i’m going over old ground. I have been considering for some time now taking my Class C and eventually Class C+E and becoming a full time driver. I have always had a passion for trucks and trucking (my first job was as an apprentice HGV fitter), that didn’t work out but thats a whole other story!
Anyway, cut to 16 years later and I am working as a Contract Manager for an Engineering company, the hours are long (60 + per week) and as i’m on salary I do not get paid overtime, the job is also extremely stressful, having to meet impossible deadlines, being screamed at on a daily basis by clients because you are unable to meet the impossible deadlines! lying awake at night thinking “did i order that” “dont forget to do this” etc etc. Plus having over 20 guys out on site and having to control them all on a daily basis is sending me grey before my time!
Most importantly my heart just isn’t in it anymore. The only part of my job that I do enjoy is driving around the country (1000 + miles per week) hence my decision to change career.

I have been reading the threads on here for a couple of weeks now and have picked up a lot of negative vibes about becoming a truck driver and the available work out there, on the other side of the coin i’ve also read some really positive threads about first jobs and how much you are loving your new job.

All in all its left me confused in that it’s what i really want to do but would realistically need at least a 2 - 3 month contract to consider handing my notice in with my current job, unfortunatley financial circumstances (a.k.a mrs and kids) means that some finicial security is a must. I notice that most starts that new drivers are getting is a day here and there which would not be enough for me to continue to support my family.

Anyway, if you’ve managed to read through all this and haven’t yet fallen asleep! I would really appreciate your advice / comments both good or bad?

Regards

Bull :confused:

bull,

i recently passed my test and i have been searching high and low agencies, hauliers,pallet companies, retailers. and out of about 25 phone calls and cv’s posted only 1 agency got back to me with ad hoc work. im lucky enough i saved enough from my previous job to cope without a job for a couple of months but to be honest its not looking good i was told by a few agencies to get either a moffett licence or hiab or both coz no matter what your experience is theres always work? im from southampton so southampton docks and poole docks are near but nobody wishes to touch me coz of a lack of commercial experience! so by the sounds of it youve got a nice paying job id stick with that but nothings stopping you from getting ur licences just incase but honestly i wouldnt leave that job for driving the work isnt there atm esp for us noobs!

hope that helps put things into prospective

jimmy

Welcome to the mad house

Yep it is a bit hit & miss atm with driving as firms are closing so lack of jobs & the rest can take there pick with either experienced or newbies & if you looking for a stress free then dont bother coming into driving as the hours are long & you at times have to meet deadlines & it dont mater if there are road works or accidents they still expect you to be on time

Depends where you live as well have a look round & see what the jobs market is like there & you wont be earning they money you are now ( up here in the North East you can expect £6.50 - £7.00 p/h ) mot agency now want at least 6 mouth proven experience as well as some companies wanting 2 years experience or over 25 due to insurance ( which it sound like you are over that ) also depends when you passed your test as if you need the initial or periodic dcpc

You could also look in your local yellow pages to see what providers are in your area phone then & ask if you can go in for a visit & chat to see what they say & how much it will all cost but remember you may not be able to get that back for a while even when working in the industry

hope all this makes sense & good luck with it all

Have a look at this but also the links

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66642