Cat C + CPC passed!

Hi all, well clear a space for another cat c driver, coz I passed with 4 minors !! Three for observation and one for approach speed. But everything else spot on :sunglasses: . What a feeling lol, when they announce “I’m pleased to tell you” it’s job done and dusted. Well let me start by giving thanks to my instructor Shane, who was firm but fair with the training but it paid off. And my examiner was a real gent, didn’t come across as strict or arrogant.

We started with the reverse, and then it started to rain (cheers pete :wink:), absolutely nailed the reverse spot on, didn’t even get out to look, I was happy with it, and then the reassuring words from examiner “yes that’ll do fine” got us off to a good start. Then a bit of luck on my side, we did the questions next,many because it was raining my examiner announced we’ll be doing questions from in the cab, (result!). Well he didn’t even ask me five questions, he asked me four?? And they were : asking about the first aid kit and its location, checking operation of rear fog lights, how would you use the de-misters for the : windscreen, and checking the condition/operation of window wipers. Well that was easy coz it was raining lol!!

Anyway done all that, pulled out of test centre and negotiated a few strategically Tight roundabouts :confused: , mostly if it’s all clear 5th gear through the roundabout, 4th gear if you have to slow down some more and 3rd if you have to stop, 2nd for slight incline maybe.

Had to pull up on the left after that, did it fine just watch the kerb as you come in, check it in the mirror. Then few more roundabouts, there’s loads in ipswich :neutral_face: , then onto a14 for a few miles, bit easier on wider roads. Then into town for a blast, remember my test was at 2pm so it coincided with the school run beautifully. Had people switching lanes without indicating, a 40mph zone that becomes a 30mph with very little warning, and stopping distances while in traffic, easy to forget! Had an uphill and a downhill start, select appropriate gears, and it’s a manual, sorted. :wink: . None of this opticruise rubbish lol. And one set of lights is like a y junction where you have to get said truck around the tightest angle imaginable watching that you don’t touch the kerb when you turn full lock, and in between the two protruding traffic lights that are waiting to greet you at the end of the manoeuvre. I got through there ok too so after that I was pretty confident it was going well.

And you know it’s nearly over when you start heading back towards the area of town where the test centre is! And breathe…

Last bit of navigation through the narrow-ish test centre gates and were home free, thanks very much.

P.s, I even took a wrong turn on the independent driving section, ended up in the wrong lane, had to follow it down and turn around. I apologised of course and examiner said that its ok, a wrong turn doesn’t necessarily incur a fault, so if you get it wrong don’t worry, there’s still time to turn it round.

And a thanks to you trucknet chums for advice/comments on the journey so far

Cheers from D 'Bear

And Pete, got another false neutral but corrected it. No fault, happy days :sunglasses:

Congrats on the pass buddy. Grab yourself a yorkie :smiley:

Cheers jay, think I’ll do just that lol

And Just to add icing to the cake, I trained and passed in the longest rigid in the Ipswich area, 11 '6 metres long to be exact. Pulled into the Orwell services where there were a couple other training lorries, well they looked like hatchbacks compared to mine lol! :sunglasses:

I stalled my car this morning, can you believe that lol! :confused:

:smiley: :smiley:

Dan Bear 87:
I stalled my car this morning, can you believe that lol! :confused:

During my training I was turning left at a t junction but I was halfway In the right hand lane. Someone squeezed up on my right and looked at me as if to say what the hell was I doing :smiley:

ROG:

:smiley: :smiley:

Cheers very much Rog

Yeah Jay it’s mad ain’t it, ya soon get used to driving a lorry instead of a car lol