Can you check if a unit has been crashed?

i did a night shift with tesco last night and i noticed the drivers door was a bit tight to open fully. experience suggests a minor knock pushing the corner back slightly so it connects with the door when it opens. in this case there was no sign of damage at all. further investigation showed that the gaps around the closed drivers door didnt match the passenger door. i also noticed that the gearbox was a bit rough and keeping a constant 15MPH in the RDC meant kangarooing along if you used a gear which kept it at the bottom of the green band. it was smoother to split the gear and sit at the top end of the green band.
i did ask but they had no idea if it had been in a bad accident in its history (56 plate CF) but thats hardly surprising when they have 180+ units in that depot.

i have driven quite a few of their units but this one stood out as being a dog even though it is the same age and spec as the other 56 plate DAFs. is it likely to have been crashed before or possibly just a badly built truck within a batch? :confused:

i did also take note that annoyingly, this one, like tradimars XFs, the passenger seat has arm rests but not the drivers seat. why do they do that :question: :confused:

you can’t spec a DAF with arm rests on the drivers seat if it is a manual gearbox, if you do, it will automatically spec the ASTronic box

with the manual, the end of the arm rest would be directly over the gear stick and get in the way.

they can design and build a euro 5 engine but the technology required to fit a gearstick that doesnt interfere with the arm rest is beyond them? :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thats why your all DAF(t) for driving them get ya self a proper motor!
:smiley: :unamused:
Tin hat at the ready!

how old r u scanny

The door problem could be where it has been blown fully open and more in a strong wind, which bends the hinges and possibly the door jamb too.
The engine gearbox thing could be several possibilities there.

DAFMAD:
The door problem could be where it has been blown fully open and more in a strong wind, which bends the hinges and possibly the door jamb too.

That would be my guess and the most likely cause.

Hey up Richie was that you I saw in the layby on the A38 just off J28 of the M1 on Friday afternoon? White Tradimar unit. Was absolutely lashing it down but I thought I could just make out Scanny in the window.

Drivers door opened whilst cab tilted perhaps?

tezza:
Hey up Richie was that you I saw in the layby on the A38 just off J28 of the M1 on Friday afternoon? White Tradimar unit. Was absolutely lashing it down but I thought I could just make out Scanny in the window.

yes it was me :smiley: