Daf Autos

Does anyone know or had any experience of gearbox failure with said device, particularly the earlier AStronics such as 2008 versions onwards?
We’ve seen a truck of that age for sale and in very good condition but we’ve heard of local stories where trucks of that age have needed new gearboxes. I know of a firm where they’ve had new ones in 11 plates recently, and the firm is spot on with maintenance.
I’d rather drive an auto but would feel bad if we got one and it went breasts skywards in no time.

The 2008/9 Daf XFs at Howdens Joinery had over a million km on them when they were replaced last year at 5 years old and I don’t recall any gearboxes failing or if they did it must have been very few. Certainly nobody complained about breaking down because of a gearbox as I can recall.

The current 64 plate DAF CFs at Howdens are now mostly all on 200,000km or more at a year old and no problems with the gearboxes.

internally they are pretty strong ,personally I have done 3 range change failures ,and 2 with a worn selector fork ,all bar one was on warranty jobs…considering how many are out there ,they seem to be pretty strong…The main concern will be the state of the looms ,to be honest and all the bodges

The 63 plates that I drive suffer mainly from telematics problems. Transmission failures so it wont select heard, jumping into manual for no apparent reason and one wouldn’t start because it was stuck in gear.

Also the current DAF auto’s take

An age to pull off from standing start